1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland Route Recommendations - 5 Days

Discussion in 'Touring' started by flatairbag, Jun 11, 2019.

1. After 2 false starts I'm finally heading up to Scotland.

Starting point will be Liverpool and got 5 and a half days.

Ideally want to get up the far north west sections Ive heard so many good things about.
    North Coast 500 route could be an option.. or alternative routes.. not fussed really.

Would welcome recommendations for a route to take in some awesome roads and scenery?

2. coast road to adrossan. ferry to arran, drive round to the other ferry that sails to kintyre. then up to oban, fort william, malaig ferry to skye then back.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I think i’d start by riding across to Holyhead, then Dublin to Killarney and the Dingle peninsula. Then head north round the coast to Larne and catch the ferry to Stranraer. A quick amble round the Trossachs then home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. west is best

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dry is better!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. West is dryer than oop north:)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. Not in Wales on a Sunday it wasn’t!

8. Not much help for the OP is this :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mountain road through Lecht in Cairngorms is worthy of deviating east on the way north of determined to do a loop.

My favourite trip is to aim for Ullapool, pitch tent and then have some unladen days up and around to Tongue, down glen hope to Altnaharra, a walk up stac pollaidh looking out to summer isles, visit handa island. If you've not been up there before then staying in that top left corner, Sutherland, is pretty special.

10. and crowed.
    kintyre and ardnamurrichan is one of our best kept secrets, but i'm happy to share. faster roads due to less tourists and police.

11. Tyndrum, Glencoe to Corran ferry. Then Strontian, up west coast to Arisaig, Malaig. Great run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. me and my mate are planning to go up in August as we have friends in Jedburgh. We were thinking of doing the 'PENIS287' as Richard Hammond calls it, it's basically the NC500 with a shortcut through the middle and makes it a bit more do-able in 5 days from home (we are starting down south). If you google it, then you'll find it all mapped out in route format, and watch YouTube clips of the grand tour and you will see that the roads are simply breath taking.

In my experience of Scotland, it will rain, often in the mornings or for an hour or so, but we have been there 7-8 times and always managed to get a good amount of riding done on either drying or fully dry roads.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. IMAGE_32.jpeg

Total gridlock...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. yip, i know the area. very well. nice we road for a bimble about. i was round that way again last month.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Are you camping or bunkhouse or B&B

16. Ive been and stayed in Ardnamurchan a few times. The roads are empty. BUT, its not a place for a superbike, a multi yes, a 1299S no. It has a desolate beauty about it at times though and highly recommended.

Ullapool to Inverness A835, I could ride that road all day long. Lovely.

West is best, I agree.

17. I would try and avoid the Loch Lomondside Route. A lot of police and traffic.

Some great suggestions already, but another idea may be to skip the north west and tour the borders. Very quiet, great roads, few police and you can dip into and around Northumberland, which is probably the most under rated part of the U.K. it’s because it is east coast it is often dry. If you only have 5 days there would be less time pressure. If the forecast is not great for the west coast and highlands, this would be a good plan B.

You could schlep it up the M74 to J13. Up to Biggar, if staying over there, go to the taj Mahal for a curry. Then Broughton and south to Moffat. One of the best roads in the UK that is. then across to st Marys Loch. Biker cafe on the left hand side. Then on and have a run around, Hawick, Selkirk, Jedburgh etc. Into Northumberland

Where ever you go, you can’t go wrong.

Ardnamurchan is beautiful. I have spent some happy days up there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Many thanks all. Just what was needed. Getting excited now!

Luckily with all the good advice I didn’t need to google “Richard Hammonds Penis Ride”.

19. And Im back!

Just happened to run into some of the hottest weather Scotland has seen in the last three hundred years. Fricken awesome scenery, quiet roads with for the most part perfect cambers... even the quality of road surface was worth a mention.

West and Up:
    - Enjoyed the A82 from Tarbet to Fort William
    - Took a big Detour by hitting the A861 from Kinlocheil to Lochailort
    - A896
    - A890
    - A832 from Achnasheen to Talladale. Wow this is picture postcard stuff and the road just wiggles down the valley
    - B8021 north from Gairloch
    - A832 north from Gairloch
    - A894 up to Laxford Bridge.
    - The A838 up to Durness. Worth doing as the beach and view are cool. A weird road with many passing bays... was nicer on the way back than way there... weird how a different view, knowing what to expect from the road, and a few less caravans less made a difference.
    - The A838 from Laxford B back down past Loch Shin was a chilled low speed ride spotting deer on the hills with no one about.

Then the Caingorms:
    Anyone on two wheels should never ever ever ever ever take the A9.
    Drop over the other side to Boat of Garten, Nethy Bridge, Tomintoul, Cock Bridge, Braemar, Glenshee.
    - A939
    - B976
    - A93
    The roads were like a licorice strap draped over the hills.

Wont be leaving it as long next time to head north again.

IMG_7813.jpg

IMG_7902.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

#19 flatairbag, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  20. Portpatrick good first night stay and as said west is best

Do Not Sell My Personal Information