1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scott leathers

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Argonaut, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Anyone ever bought a made-to-measure set of leathers by Scott Leathers?

I ordered a set back in January, and eleven weeks later i'm still being given the "they'll be finished in one week" line, which they've been saying for a month now.:rolleyes:

I can appreciate these things take time, but after being quoted 6-8 weeks, i'm wondering if i'll ever see them this year! :mad:

just wondered if anyone else has suffered the same sort of waiting time?

2. Gulp.

They have been in and out of receivership for the last few years. I considered them for a suit a couple of years back but there were so many online tales of woe I didn't.

The Telegraph reported that they'd gone into administration in 2008:

Jimmy Aird's Scott Leathers reaches the end of the road - Telegraph

- which they promptly denied:

Scott Leathers still in business - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

But a recent post to a thread on MCN reports they've gone bust, again:

Scott Leathers - Not received leathers | Legal | Motorcycle Forums & Chat | Motorbike Forum & Chat | MCN Motorcycle News

3. Oh thats just lovely....:mad:

Thankfully the money is secured, so i'm at no risk if it goes completely wrong.

Am starting to think i should have gone for a set of BKS/A.M leathers now!!!!

4. I have bought a few sets of leathers from them, and they do take their time. At this time of year I would guess all the racers are getting sorted so you will have a wait. I am lucky in living fairly local so I used to go and hassle them. Great leathers when you do get them

• Like Like x 1
  5. Once...never again. Ordered a set of trousers at the NEC, they arrived the following June...and I suspect only after I blew my stack and sent a rather snotty letter (cc'd to my solictors). Weren't right and needed adjustment so I sent them back again. Took another six months of almost continual phoning. They're still not quite right, but I've given up trying.

In contrast, I bought a new jacket from Hideout this Xmas. Ordered at the NEC again, first fitting at the end of Jan, collected 2 weeks later. Ok, so it's more expensive, but the quality is better and at least you'll actually get them promptly rather than being fobbed off with broken promises.

6. It's been a nightmare, the order was placed at the start of January and i was told they were so quiet they'd get it all done in well under six weeks........here we are at almost double that timeframe and still no leathers!

I was tempted by a set of HALO leathers, but after reading horror stories on a KTM forum about them, i changed my mind. Scott leathers seemed quite reputable at the time, but i'm regretting that decision now. Oh well, live and learn!

Thankfully if the worst comes to it i won't lose any money, so i'm tempted to just cancel the order and get a set of AM Leathers instead.....can't quite stretch to the £1700 for a set of BKS!!!

7. Oh bugger, thanks guys, I ordered a set at the London Excel show, was told 6 weeks, but if I paid on the day I would be put to the front of the queue, guess what, still waiting but I didnt realise others were having problems, guess I will be chasing them up come monday.

8. I heard yesterday they have now gone into receivership again.

9. Where did you hear that Nogaromill? Has it got any credence?

10. Well it was from a well reputed contact of mine in BSB....I have no reason to doubt its provenance. I heard it today too from an unrelated source who is also a Scot.....

11. Oh well that's just piggin marvellous! I shall have to do some digging on monday.

12. It's all looking a bit grim :mad:

I've asked the shop i placed my order through to check it out, as he's got them making a few suits for him at the moment.

If i hear anything more i'll post here.

13. Well I spoke to Scott Leathers today, asked when my suit would be ready, was told two weeks. I asked if there was a problem with the company and they said that some emails have been getting sent round to dealers and forums saying they were bust and they do not know why, they dont have the time or resources to chase up the stories as they just want to make good leathers.
    We shall have to wait and see, I am hoping they will come good with the order, both in time and in quality, and if they do then I will be one happy bunny and shall tell the world!!
    They said that they are busy doing the racers suits at the moment, Dave Molyneux being one, but they are catching up with orders.

14. Week 12 and still waiting...........

Another "one week more" comment recieved yesterday, at least they are consistent with the excuses.

15. I do hope you receive the leathers. It does seem strange that there is such high in the winter (when you ordered) but hopefully they will remain true to their word.

16. Thanks Rob.

If they ever arrive i'll post pics - they are very much like the Hayden's Moto-GP leathers.....slightly toned down though.

17. Argonaut, any news on your set yet, I got the next week thing again!!

18. Sorry, but I'd have pulled my money ages ago. No company can treat their customers like that and expect to stay in business. Honesty is still the best policy.

19. I wish mate!

I had the same line as you on Friday, so I told them if it wasn't shipped by the end of business next Friday night, I'd cancel the order and they'd not see a penny from me.

So, we shall see!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information