1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish Routes

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Rosso, May 12, 2018.

1. Hi All including Ducbird

Unexpected, but welcomed few days off from 24th May. Taking S1000RR and camping stuff for flexibility.
    I did the NC500 clockwise & anti-clockwise last year, air b&b all the way.

Loved it.

Heading up towards west coast ( isle of sky).
    Not bothered about doing the full route (NC500) this time.

Any advice of great roads, routes etc would be welcomed (anywhere in Scotland) & I will try to link it all together.

Cheers in advance ladies & gents.

#1 Rosso, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Finm is your man in the north.

Ducbirds not going to like your exclusiveness though!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Quite right, my bad.
    Fixed.

4. find your way to gourock, wee ferry over to dunoon, from there to inveraray, you can take a right there and head over to dallmally then on to oban or fortwiliiam over glencoe then malaig ferry to skye, or stay on the road at inveraray continue on lochgilphead then head up to oban ect

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Got to do the road from Fort William to Mallaig. Also Bealach na pass to Applecross, pretty epic.
    West coast is full of brilliant roads.
    Ferry from Mallaig to Sky then do the road bridge and head for Applecross.
    Some of the best roads in the whole of the UK in beautiful Scotland IMHO

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. We did the Gourock / Dunoon/ inverary/Oban/Glencoe routes last year. Amazing roads

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 18.43.02.png
    Includes a ferry crossing, its cheap and every 15minutes or so..
    Road around to Strontian and towards Mallaig is a corker. Watch Glencoe area for speed traps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Btw, that includes doing the Mallaig run both directions, you will not regret that!

9. Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 18.50.20.png

West side is superb. East I'm not a fan. Apllecross one of the weirdest/awkward passes, and I have done a few.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Aberdeenshire / Cairngorms / Glenshee area gives the West Coast a run for it’s money. There are some truly amazing roads , and amazing scenery up in my neck of the woods here.

Have a look at Glenshee / Braemar / Ballater / Grantown on Spey / Dufftown / Tomintoul / Cock Bridge / Strathdon. Easy to pick a route stringing together these main places.

Then up around Fraserborough / Pennan / Buckie / Elgin / Burghead / Findhorn area through to Inverness.

There are big contrasts between the coast road and in the Cairngorms obviously , and the benefit here is that the roads tend to be a lot quieter. Up around the NC500 and West coast in general will already be starting to get busy i would say.

Hope weather holds for you.
    Just a taster photo from today between Strathdon and Braemar. It was a stunning ride today.

1C3D1EC2-7FA0-4805-9411-FBB7D37DA41C.jpeg 55FA4130-ED68-4141-887F-E7C33C660437.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. What did I miss :grinning:

12. Definitely the A93 Glenshee / Braemar / Ballater - I think it's sometimes referred to as the Old Military Road. Awesome! (Did it last year as part of our Scottish tour which also took in the NC500). Saw what we suspect was the Top Gear crew filming. Not many vehicles, and fantastic bends. Back to Scotland in September but with car not bikes this time, and it's definitely on the must do list again.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. yip, spean through to aberdeen ant to shabby :upyeah:
    you missed me db, you missed me. :upyeah:

14. Thanks for all the replies, I’ve done some of the routes/ferry’s mentioned , but there are many others I haven’t.

@finm , an accurate weather forecast down to the last degrees for the 24th & following 5 days pls?;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Done it & agree.

16. I’ve done applecross twice now, will be giving it a miss this time.
    Would love to cycle it though.

17. scotchio!

18. Fort Bill to Kyle via Invergarry has to be one of the best roads in Scotland and there are some fantastic roads in Scotland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I have, and on to Shieldaig, which is like a roller coaster with probably more climbing on it than the Bealach.

20. the Bealach is a thing? hmm, i live next to a place called Bealach. interesting.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information