1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Scrambler/797 Comparison

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Mark9, Aug 11, 2018.

1. My Scrambler went in to Nelly at Cornerspeed this morning for it’s valve service, he was kind enough to loan me his 797 Monster whilst the work is being carried out, the 797 has the same engine as the Scrambler so I’d wondered how the bikes compare, my thoughts below.
    More leg room due to taller seat.
    Seat seemed no more comfortable than the Scrambler, which is saying something!
    Very upright riding position, (although I do have flat bars on my Scrambler), anyway I felt like a sail on the A38 and had to stay around the speed limit to remain comfortable, any more and the wind pressure would have been too much.
    Clock is clear to read, especially revs but looks a bit cheap.
    17 inch front wheel and road tyres means it tips into corners a tad better than the Scrambler.
    17 inch front wheel feels a tad twitchier on bumpy corners.
    Bike feels faster than the Scrambler when accelerating through the gears, same engine same power same weight so it shouldn’t but it does, I read a few road tests this afternoon that said the same, possibility this perception is to do with the riding position, don’t know.
    Lots of bits shared with the Scrambler, engine, footpegs, sidestand, swingarm very similar.
    Front brakes much better due to twin disc set up.
    It’s twitchier than the Scrambler especially coming out of bumpy corners with brio, not dangerously so but the Scrambler feels more planted.
    Overall impression is that it’s a good bike but it feels a little lacking in character, the look isn’t for me, reminds me of an insect, preying mantis or something, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    To sum up nothing wrong with it , actually it’s better than the Scrambler in some respects, but I prefer my Icon.

#1 Mark9, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information