1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scraped Exhaust - Be Careful

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by dhtmbowen, Jul 14, 2013.

1. I've just had a Termignoni full system fitted to my Diavel.
    The performance improvement is fantastic and the motor sounds just awesome through it.
    Only problem is this: the exhaust touches down before the peg does on the RHS. It touches down just where the exhaust kinks back up for the 'silencers'.
    I don't want this to happen for a number of reasons:
    1. it's expensive! I've had one decent trip out and I've worn a 2" (50mm) flat spot on the exhaust
    2. it's dangerous - it hits and there's not a lot of movement so it's shoved me wide on a couple of roundabouts and right hand bends
    3. it's touching down what I think of as really early and that will reduce the amount of fun I have on the bike.

At the very least I want the pegs down well in advance of scraping anything important.

So:
    Is this normal?
    Can anything be done?

Thanks for your time.

2. Loft ride height? Think I'd be back to dealer asking what they suggest, as they must have had this before and probably have ready made solution.

3. I had a similar problem until I adjusted my suspension, setting the sag properly etc. I weigh over 90kgs so it was necessary ;-)
    Also I tend to shift my weight and hang off more, great fun!

4. thanks everyone.
    my dealer is going to take a look at it tomorrow to see if they can lift the exhaust a little bit to improve ground clearance.
    I'll post up any changes.

5. Other option (if expensive) is Ohlins rear shock, gives more ground clearance apparently

6. I've bought a second standard shock and taken it to K-Tech.
    K-Tech are going to re-valve and spring the stock shock.
    They are also familiar with the Sachs forks (same as the RSV4) so will respring and modify the damping on those as well.
    All in all should be at least as good as the Ohlins (my experience is K-Tech are better) for a fraction of the price.
    I will post up the results as soon as I get the work finished which should be 2nd week in August.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi
    I’ve had a similar problem with my standard system; I scraped50mm of the Y (2 into 1) section. I also bent the foot brake lever on full leanat the same time. I plan to fit longer ‘hero bolt’ as an early waning.

8. First run out of the year last weekend and felt the bike fighting me when cranked over. Anyhow had a look when I got home and lo and behold this little bu**er was looking at me!

Any ideas if it will affect the rest of the coating or should I look to get it covered?

IMG_0430a.jpg

9. Screw a hero blob into it

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. What sort of angles are we talking about. need to know, just had mine fitted and don't want to scrape it.

Large hero blob sound like a good idea, but it would have to be very large.

11. Hi Lucky,
    Not sure on lean angles, definitely not Marquez levels, just threw it over and felt the bike twitch as it hit the deck on the roundabout although I have been told I lean my bikes over a fair bit.

12. I used to scrape pegs all the time on my cbr, got to the point where I took the 'hero' pegs off.

I don't lean my Panigale anywhere near as much on the road it seems as I did the Honda.

To be honest, I wouldn't imagine it would take much to scrape bits of a Diavel mate. I have a pal with a Rocket 3, that thing grinds out everywhere!

#12 Advikaz, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  13. Hi Jim,

How far over do you get on your tyres, any chicken strips or did you end up using all the tyre when it happened.

Cheers for the info.

Lucky

14. Hi Lucky,
    No chicken strips and I got 1900 mile out of both tyres before changing them out, front worse than the rear.

15. Errr..ummm...could weight have anything to do with it......good job I met him in a car park on the M40 so he can't find me.....scary that @JimVee :p:Bag:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. So you can use the whole tyre without scrapping any bits :-0

17. No, I scraped the exhaust :confused:

18. My non Ducati "other ride" has an exhaust that runs straight out of open headers so no problem with grounding but I worry about catching the handlebars sometimes on really tight bends? image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ah, guess I will have to live with chicken strips then :-(

20. Badge of honour I'd say.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information