1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Screen Options Continued

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by freshage, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Good day all, so I've got an MRA touring screen (the one with the little extra screen at the top) and the 3D printed spacers. Yet, this bike is just unbearable at motorway speeds regardless of screen height. I'm talking shaky eyeballs barely able to see buffeting.

At this point, looks can go right out the window, I need to sort this before I start to dislike riding the bike. Yesterday I rode 1.5 hours back home after going out on a slower ride on country roads. On the way back, I had to pull over just to let my noggin relax for 5 minutes.

I'm 6'2" and have the seat extension installed as without its just too low.

I really hope I can get this sorted else it genuinely will result in a swap to something else and I don't want to get rid of my baby :(

3. Hi I had the same issue with my Pikes Peak. I had the carbon fly screen, a full touring screen. The touring screen was terrible, fly screen tolerable. I eventually got a Puig Screen bigger than the fly screen but still quite small. That worked best and looked good. I think it was from a later 1260 with 3 mounting holes so needed a bit of modifying. I am 6’2 as well.

4. At 6'4" I'm interested in this topic also.

In fairness to the Multistrada (both my air cooled and the water cooled), I've never had a screen that was 100% great on any bike. Always a compromise when your tall I guess :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. The smaller the screen and the higher you are above it is the best solution. Get a Dremel and cut it to as short as you can. I tried every combination and that was the solution for me, along with the Palmer Products screen mount that isn't available to you.
    The fittings on the bars make a lot of dirty air and we'll never get it 100%, it is going to be a compromise and what is acceptable.
    I would have got rid of the bike, if I couldn't calm the wind blast down to an acceptable level!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I still rate the adjustable Wunderlich deflector on a standard screen.

Have you tried changing the angle of the MRA ‘wing’? It’s the same principal as it splits the airflow and stops that buffering.

What helmet do you use? Has it got a peak? If so that could make things worse

7. I've toyed with the angle on the top screen more times than I can count now, I've tried it with and without those screen spacers. No matter what screen I've tried, my head gets HORRIBLE buffeting. I'm gonna order the Puig Sports screen and try that with and without spacers.

As for the helmet, it's a AGV Sportmodular. I've got an old AGV ti-tech and I've yet to try with that helmet... I'm not too fussed on noise, I just want the wind line to not be either on my throat when the screen is down or my head shaken about like a paint cans ball bearing when it's set to high. I've ridden naked bikes for years, the last being a Monster 695 as my daily commuter from Alameda to San Francisco for several years.

Hopefully the shorter screen will help.

8. I've always said that the smaller the screen, the less buffeting. I run my bike with the Pikes Peak screen, and it's perfect. Admittedly, if you want to sit on the motorway all day it probably isn't the best, but if you want to do that you may as well take the car.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. This is the 7622f dark screen hope that helps

53992857-0A0F-4B24-B24C-7F2C2EE0F7A0.jpeg

10. If you read that thread you'd note that I was referring to the Puig Touring screen, not the sport screen. I have both, you can buy the touring screen as well if you like YMMV... Didn't try the sport screen and I want a taller solution for long distance work.

11. Aye, I was jesting :D I ordered the PUIG sports screen to see how I get on with it, I saw yours but not a fan of the carbon look.

What solution did you end up going with and how is it working so far?

12. I’m 6’ and found the smoked Puig sports screen is perfect to look through. Also using the Palmers adapter on full tilt forward as this provides the best option for wind deflection of all the positions available for me

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Std screen with Jamie's spacers. Acceptable but not perfect. Alas, I think it's the lower width of the screen which is the real problem, possibly aided by the bodywork. Not a lot can be done about that, maybe some aerofoils in this area as per the V4 Mutley would help...?

The sports screens work because they don't have such a large body of lower pressure air in their wake which is messed up, or rather it's boundaries are, by the air flowing off the edges of the screen. That's my theory anyway.

14. There's one in the for sale section. Someone should buy it and get cutting.

15. I'm also 6'2", I have the exact same set up and use full tilt forward. It's the best compromise I found.

16. Did you try the magic spacers first?
    Just wondering if the Palmer bracket is worth the money

Do Not Sell My Personal Information