1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seat Cowl Fitting?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DucatiChappie, Jun 27, 2018.

1. OK - dumb question but here goes:

What's the best way to fit the seat cowl without damaging it? I'm afraid to clip it on from the top as it it doesn't seem to have much flex in it and wouldn't want to crack the lacquer/paint, or even snap the cowl by forcing it apart.

When sliding it on from the rear (oo-er), the leading horizontal edge doesn't seam to want to move over the seat beyond a certain distance, leaving it a couple of inches short. Am I missing something? Is there a technique or is it just a case of brute force and ignorance wins the day?

It is freshly painted and lacquered and it would be a shame to damage it...

Cheers

James

2. they won't slide right o the front of the pillion perch James.
    I'm sure some are different to others, but yes, don't force it.

I used to slide in from the back till it was comfortable. Mine used to sit about 1-2" off from the dive down to the rider seat. the two little tangs at the back would always overhang the rear of the seat. :)

3. Thanks Sev, I had assumed it would go right to the front of the pillion seat, but I'll go and take another look at that.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mine only slides on just enough to clear the grab rail.. in fact it rubs on it slightly and has worn a lil of the paint of . Had the same on last ss.
    Stops about 30mm short of the dive downot bit.
    Don' t try and fit from top!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  5. Mine fits as below, just touches the grab rail but only lightly

37F3F3DE-89BF-4B44-9B9A-14F59E5FBA09.png

• Like Like x 3
  6. mine was 'difficult' to 'slip' on, and i did damage it in the process. Safe to say it aint coming off any time soon. I suspect the seat foam on the early models was a bit more generous than that on the latter models (when this seat cowl was brought out as an accessory).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks guys, managed to get it fitted as you say, not as far on as the dive down, and with the rear tangs overhanging. It *just* clears the grabrail, but I suspect might be at risk of touching when in use. It would probably all be easier with some sort of lubricant (silicon spray or maybe a smear of washing up liquid?) so I might have another go later.
    Thanks for your help.
    James
    PS - I am working on a "rebuild story" post, just not had time to finish it yet.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information