1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Seat Fairing Mounting S Vs R

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Sev, Jun 27, 2021.

1. I’m trying to understand how the rear cowlings ng secures to the subframe on the normal and R versions of these bikes.

So, the non r models have a pillion perch cowl that goes over the lunchbox cavity on the non R models.

i take it that the bolts that hold the tail fairing on are inside that cavity.

If this is the case, how does the R model secure to the frame if you don’t have a cowl to remove?

2. I just changed mine over not so long ago.

The R seat unit secures to the subframe with 2 bolts at the rear, just behind the tail light. You access these from underneath...after removing the exhaust end cans, and then the undertray!
    There's also 2 bolts at the front, easily removed after you take off the seat.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Indeed @Sev - that’s why I modified mine so that there is a single Dzus at the rear otherwise it’s exhausts off and undertray. Absolutely ridiculous design.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tell me about it!!! Took ages compared to removing a usual tail unit!!
    There may be a short cut, but that's the way from the workshop manual.
    I'll guess it's got something to do with not being able to neatly design in any access from the top, but may also have to do with the tail unit being made from carbon an making it harder to remove for any would be criminals!

5. Stick to the Superlight, Sev, for that you only need to remove four easily accessible screws to get the seat off, after which you can access the toolkit (stored under the seat) to get the screwdriver which you need to remove the screws that hold the seat on.

Hang on a minute.......that's racing pedigree, rather than an opportunity for a maintainability engineer...isn't it?

Mr bimble

6. If that's the reason then I blame the finance/business department!!

(Design engineer here! :D)

7. Never had mine out of track trim so never had this sweary in garage pleasure. But would all this faffery have anything to do with the traction control unit being planted here??

8. Just putting mine back together after fitting new alternator case…
    Just remembered, I have to take the top fairing and RH air tube off to allow access to the radiator cap.
    o_O
    Top design!

#8 RickyX, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information