1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seat Recovering Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by daimatt, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Hello everyone.

I have a Saxon seat cover sat at home for my 996, and a big gel pad to cut to size to make life a little more comfortable for my bony arse.

The Saxon cover can be fitted over the existing vinyl and just stapled into place, nice and simple. However, when is it best to put the gel pad in? Can I place it between the 2 covers and try it out before stapling the Saxon cover in to place, or should I remove the original cover and put the gel pad under that?

2. When I fitted a gel pad to my Scrambler I cut a section out of the OEM foam to allow the pad to sit flush.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Saxon seat covers are really nicely made bits of kit. I have one specially made to my design on my Pani.

You might like to call the guy that runs it to confirm it but this is what he recommended to me. He’s a very helpful guy and I visited him so there’s no misunderstanding here.

1. You can put one of their covers over the original cover but it will make the seat harder. Better to rip off the old cover and replace it with the new cover. You can do it yourself or I’d recommend finding a local friendly upholsterer who can also put in an extra layer of foam for you. Because....

2. He said to me ‘You can put a Gel pad in but you will fry your arse!’
    The underseat exhaust pipes will heat the Gel pad more than foam. It will also retain that heat more than foam. I was disappointed as I’m sure you are, I had also promised myself a Gel pad. I took his advice so I cannot give you first hand experience but now I come to remember he said it would turn it into a frying pan.

Maybe others on here can comment if they’ve used a Gel pad. On a Scrambler it’ll be fine but with underseat pipes he said it was a no-no.

Hope this helps.

#3 Sam1199, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Have a gel insert on my 748 and it's great .. no noticeable extra heat...
    Unless the 996 gets a lot hotter in the arse department? . I've never riden one....

5. One in my multi seat but it's sewn into the new cover.
    20170913_224218.jpg

6. Thank you for the replies. Will remove the old cover as suggested. I think the Pani exhaust route will cause a bit more heat to the seat than the 996 so I'll give the gel a go. It's more your right leg that gets hot than your bum.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information