1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Second Hand 996

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Regenwulf, Oct 24, 2018.

1. I have a Pani 1199 and a Hypermotard 796. What I've always fancied, though, is a 916 or derivative bike as it was the poster bike of the time when i was getting into two-wheeled fun, and remains utterly beautiful, as I expect you all agree.

A 996 has come up for sale near me. There aren't many opportunities to buy these sorts of bikes where I am, so it's gotten my attention. It's an unusual example however:

It has, I think, 848 forks, with radial mounted calipers
    Ohlins rear shock
    Frame has been painted black
    Bodywork is aftermarket carbon, painted in a fairly traditional Ducati red scheme
    Aftermarket (Chinese) rear sets
    Carbon Termi cans and link pipe
    Various other carbon covers/items
    Some minor issues like a jumpy tacho (see other thread)
    It had belts and a major service (including new rocker arms) at Moto Rapido within the last 24 months. It doesn't otherwise have any real documented history.

I'm looking for a bike that I would probably keep in my forever garage and ride on Sunny afternoons and weekend trips to France. It has c.12,000 miles. It wouldn't go on track with me, and wouldn't end up in a museum. Other than the exhaust he doesn't have any of the original parts. The forks, brakes, shock, carbon bits etc should all have improved the bike, albeit detracting from its originality and long term value - it's a bitsa.

I'm not really looking for an investment, but am interested in what the market for these bikes is doing - are they commanding good money, increasing in value? Am I foolish for even considering a bike like this? What sort of price should I be expecting to pay for something like this?

Is the substitution of 848 forks and brakes a common/good upgrade to these bikes?

Thanks for anyone's thoughts.

jm

2. the spread is massive on these with buyers prizing originality over anything else. it would be a 6-7k plus bike if original based on recent hammer prices at auction. as described, it would be a 3k bike to me but could easily be a 2k bike to the guy i sell it to. its so far deviated from original that its hard to say whether you would even recoup your outlay on resale. at the same time, they are not making them anymore and its a lower miler. a sympathetic restoration over time might help preserve its value but then who knows.

3. the 848 fork thing is very odd

4. youd need to get comfortable that its got no adverse history

5. Lack of history has been trumped by its stay at MR!

6. If its a good price... why not?

You've always wanted one, lots of upgrades, great fun for sunny Sunday afternoons.

7. Prices have stagnated over the past 18 months.

My guess is £5k

8. You're not helping me buy this!

He said around £6k but I expect there's probably some decent ground to move on that (and I thought that was rich even before your comments). Thanks for the thoughts fellas.

Jm

9. 848 forks on a 996?

I..... didn't know that was a thing...

10. This is the bike

44497037_2672731486285476_6201030132212170752_o.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seems to be a decently sorted bike. If you’re after an investment, not worth it but as a usable decent bike, probably £5 to £6K.

12. As you've always fancied one, I think you should aim for something close to an unmolested original (with the exception of 50mm carbon termis). Then tweak it as you fancy, not as someone else fancied. But do get one, because they are fabulous machines to take to bits as well as ride, as long as you've got occasional access to plod-free empty twisty roads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. If you’ve always wanted one and not an investment then go for it.
    Lowball the owner at about 3 k I would. He can only say no.
    I can’t see from the photo but has it got those god awful eye hurting 3 spoke wheels or the 5 spoke marchesini?

14. It looks a nice bike for the right price, nice five spoke wheels as well.;)
    Steve

15. Yeah, the first spokers which I agree are nice.

16. Looks a
    NIce bike
    I would go for it especially as it’s been
    Through the rapido boys workshop.
    They are all
    Old now
    So exceptional ones are gonna be like rocking horse shit too find

17. IMO the vender is taking advantage of the fact it’s Jersey and there are probably more people who want one than there are bikes for sale. No way would that bike get £6k on the mainland. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information