1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Time Broken Belt 1098

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by adam_pl, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Hi!
    first of all I'm new here and I'd like to say hello to all members:)

Recently I've bought my first Duc and it is 1098s tricolore with almost 12k km on a clock. After just about 70-80km brought my bike to the Ducati workshop - changing belts, checking valve clearance, changing tires, oil, oil filter and checking if everything is ok with it. After that they said that it truly is in a very good condition and when I was riding back home after 15km belt on a horizontal cylinder broke up. So they took it back. Bent valves, scratched head (see picture). Piston was intact, no marks from valves. They had spare complete head, put it on, new belts and a head gasket. I took it back and made another 10-15km with the same ending - broken belt (yet don't know which one but I suppose that it is the same).
    I need an advice. Has anyone had similar problems? Is it lubrication? (oil light was ok when I was riding) Maybe you've got some ideas what to check next? I think that service at some point was done wrong and that they should pay for it.

Cheers,
    Adam

58376928_714231982343274_4186654229454127104_n.jpg

2. By the looks of that bearing journal the camshaft seized. So it looks like a lubrication issue - but on 2 heads!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Didi the same bloke fit the belts both times?..in the same way...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. what could be the cause of lubrication problems in this model? oil pump? some other clues?

5. I don't think it's a belt fitment issue. Tensioning the belt incorrectly could cause it to break but I wouldn't cause that damage to the bearing journal.

6. Low oil pressure possibly, maybe due to a worn pump, or a blocked oil feed to the affected head.

7. yes, same guy fit the bel
    so why it hadn't appear after 1st km?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. what even seriously over tight?

9. Ducati workshop as in factory affiliated?

10. new bike done 12K you rode it for 80 miles all good
    took for belt/valve service did 15km after service and belt pings causing damage to engine
    bike took back to same workshop they repair engine you ride for 10-15km and belt pings again

id say procedure ..

• Agree Agree x 10
  11. It goes without saying that the servicing agent should pay for it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. yes, sort of that. one of the best we have in Poland.

13. I hope that they will!

14. If it were me, I'd expect the shop to rectify it and on the basis they've managed to snap two belts, I'd want the work inspected by another, prior to it leaving the workbench again.

That's the only protection you have against it happening in 1500km and them saying it is not their problem.

15. as a garage owner i wouldnt automatically take responsibilty for the head.

16. The second one, supplied and fitted by the garage.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I guess it's possible but it would need to be very seriously over tight to cause that damage.

18. Wonder if the cam cap was tightened after valve check/adj?

19. Got a picture of the cam belt tensioner?

Bet it was rotated the wrong way..

20. Rotating it the wrong way causes the opposite runs to touch shredding the belt but that wouldn't explain the damage to the head.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information