1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling A Private Plate??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Gray84, Dec 7, 2018.

1. so to tomorrow I'm picking up my 1st 899. happy days
    it comes with a private plate I have a private plate that ill be putting on.
    can and HOW do I sell the plate that's on?

is it worth it for the few hundred its probably worth? I thinking ill have to put it on retention then put my private plate onto the bike once the original plate is on?

any help much appreciated.

2. What’s the plate?
    I think you can put on retention and get the original one back then put yours on the bike and sell the new private one
    I think

3. Easy to sell, just transfers from one owner to another, cost about £80.

What you’ll get depends on what it is.

4. As Bradders mentioned, i took my plate of one of my bikes last week and cost £80 for a retention certificate which if I'm correct is like a log book for the plate for when you sell it on or transfer, (but don't advertise for sale on here as in your post you might get a load of bullocks from people messing up your post which is very unusual on this forum :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  5. Currently, the retention max period is 10 years for a £80 cost and again currently, you can extend that for free at the end of those 10 years.

I was going to use this route to get my 7 year old grandaughters first car number plate, cheaper when you have plenty of time

6. If your motorbike number plate registration was with this plate i would keep it as it's part of the history/DNA.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. Yes, I agree.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Just worth mentioning on a bit of a side note regarding private plates. If your bike or car is written off or stolen and your insurance company is going to pay out for total loss its important to make sure the plate is removed and put onto retention or transferred to another vehicle beforehand, as once the insurance company pays out they then become the owners of the vehicle with the reg no. that's registered to it. My sister is an insurance broker and she tells horror stories of insurance companies acquiring plates from unwitting customers that were worth more than the car they were on!:neutral:

• Useful Useful x 3
  9. I was told once that you can put a car plate on a bike but not vice verse, is this correct ?

10. Mine went bike - van - bike and the ones I bought this year didnt seem to restrict what I put them on

• Like Like x 1
  11. This. In every respect!

• Like Like x 1
  12. The guy was wrong then, cheers bradders :upyeah:

13. You can't put a plate from a tractor on your bike or car, but you can put a plate from a bike or car onto a tractor. Not really a dilemma that'll bother most people.

14. Dunno, in Norfolk that could be a deal breaker

• Funny Funny x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information