1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling Bike Procedure - Bank Transfer

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Oli, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Hi guys, need your advice: I sold my bike on eBay, buyer contacted me right away, asking if bike is still available and when the bike can be collected. We agreed deposit which I received to my bank account. Buyer arranged professional bike mover (Motorcycle Movement Solutions) to collect the bike from me once he will transfer outstanding amount to my bank account - he won't be present on the collection, is it suspicious? I have his details for V5 form and obviously I won't let go of the bike until I will see full amount in my bank account. Is there anything I should be aware? Thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Didn't someone else on here have the same with a motorcade chop recently? Have a search, it was a long thread.

The consensus seemed to be just make sure that the money is in your account before they go anywhere. There is a risk they can back the money out, however with UK banking it's not the sender of the money who does that, its the bank, and the bank would suspend then investigate: it's not like PayPal.

Don't let them use Paypal!

3. ^^^^ 1 minute late...

4. The 1098R I bought a few months ago was by bank transfer . The seller didn't actually want cash such is the worry of dodgy notes hidden amongst the wad.

With just the sort code and account number it can ony go one way , and that's in, not out.
    That said , if in doubt just ring YOUR bank and chat to them . They are great and will always advise on what to do .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. If the money is in your bank move it into another account as soon as it's paid in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. It is not that easy to call back a payment once done.
    I transferred by mistake 5k to someone, the other part admitted they received the funds by mistake...it still took nearly 2 weeks to get the funds refunded to my account.
    On the other hand the V5 will still be with @Oli

7. V5 doesn't mean anything, only those responsible for tax, if anything is dodgy the new keeper just applies for a new one, don't think you've got the upper hand just because you have kept the v5.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Just to echo the above points on this, I sold my 1199 to a guy who'd not even seen it, he called me we spoke for about 30 mins on the phone and he transferred me the money, sent his mate down with his van overnight and it was gone by the morning.... nice and simple... just make sure the funds are cleared in your bank account before releasing the bike, most transfers are visible pretty quickly these days :upyeah:...

9. Most banks will give you a window which they transfer the funds. Mine do overnight ones at 5 am , then 8 , 10 ,1 and 3 pm so I could look at a bike at 9 in the morning , press the button knowing that It will be transferred at 10 . That way I could happily travel to view the bike and not worry about it showing until the next day.

Once you get over the fear of if it's ok .

10. IMO I WOULDN'T BUY THE BIKE IN ADVANCE, i'D WANT TO CHECK ITS STRAIGHT FIRST THEN TRANSFER THE MONEY WHILE THERE. iF SENDING A MATE, i'D EXPECT HIM TO DO THAT FOR ME, GIVE ,ME THE NOD then I'd transfer the cash,. IME it takes 2-5 minutes to appear in your account when done through a phone app.

opps - caps lock!

11. Just an update - everything went smooth in my case, got the money in the account, bike movers collected the bike and received 'thank you' from happy buyer... Thank you all for replies...

• Like Like x 3
  12. I do this all the time, only by bank transfer.. Normally, I get my trusted courier to go pick up the bike and once he has arrived he gives me a call to let me know its all legitimate and then I initiate the transfer whilst he has a brew and loads up etc.. Done loads like this.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information