1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Semi Active Scu

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Beef, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,
    Is there anyway way to tell if my semi active SCU is working correctly? I have no fault codes on dash but the bike feels like it’s not being damped!

2. I have the Ohlins SCU and still get an occasionsl error message on the dash when changing settings on the move so if there is an issue, I would have thought you would get a message. Have you recently disconnected the battery for any reason ? My SCU always defaults to the non SCU settings if that happens. The other test is with the ignition on but engine not running, you should be able to hear the rear shock change the pre load. Andy

3. Beef, assuming your talking about DVT, I have had this too.
    I was getting a preload recalibrating message prior to this.
    The solution was to get off the bike, remove the panniers too, then cycle between solo and 2up+luggage. This seemed to fix the preload message.

I've since had the saggy damping issue a few times. switching between the two whilst off the bike and it on the side stand has corrected it.
    Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks guys, it’s not the DVT! I don’t get any error messages. I did look at the setting range, and it only goes to 30 something so I’m wondering if I was sold a standard SCU in a semi active box! I’m currently in the Pyrenees so can’t do much until back in Blighty.

5. SCU settings have to be the lowest number (I think it’s 1) for the suspension to be semi active. I’ve got the original box somewhere so I’ll check. Andy

6. Right, so its not DVT.

You put the settings to 0 I think (lowest value) to make it work semi active.
    If you set it to anything else then its just the same as a normal module, set to a static value.

I tested mine by putting the enduro mode to the same as touring, but with all settings at 0. You can then swap between enduro and touring to see if it feels any different.

Is it damping or preload that is the problem ?
    Front or back or both ?
    I've had the seals go on the rear preload unit. When you cycle between solo and 2 up +luggage you would normally see/feel the bike lower/rise. If you can't feel this then the seals are probably shot. If it feels fine with no luggage on it then the damping is probably ok. With no additional preload when fully loaded mine feels low / soggy anyway.

If its not that then you probably need a shock / fork rebuild.

7. Okay, the Ohlins SCU retains the maximum 32 setting but adds consecutive settings from 17 right the way to 32 whereas the OE goes 18, 22, 26, 32. To activate the ‘event based control’ , semi active in each of the mode settings, all the parameters have to be set to 1 in each mode. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. Does it look exactly like my one has to have square plastic back and not radiased edges

9. upload_2019-9-19_17-15-47.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. That one above is standard

• Like Like x 1
  11. I will pop the side panel off when I can later and have a look.
    Andy, thanks for confirming the range and numbering.
    360km today and a €50 speeding ticket.... still cheaper than a track day! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. I didn't like the speeding fine, just the test of it :upyeah: Andy

13. OK - I don’t have the Allen keys to look at SCU until I get home, but I did switch between modes and feel the noticeable difference between Sport & Enduro so that is working fine. I’m still not 100% whether the SCU is doing anything on setting 1.
    My tyres seem to be wearing OK but I’m not an expert with knowing how to read wear, I do have a bit of a ridge on the trailing edge of the tread pattern.

14. you only need a 3mm and 4mm allen key to remove the panel

• Like Like x 1
  15. I know! :confounded: :p

16. I'll send you some if there scarce in your Country.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. You have to disconnect the battery and reconnect to let the scu power up and then set all settings to 1 and you should be good to go.when you re connect the battery you should hear the suspension going through a range of movements.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Guys, thanks for all the help and advice, I haven't got back to you all with anything else as my bike is at my folks due to the lights issue I had returning from Spain! I will update this when I can!
    I'm still not convinced it's right-but I can't say why!
    On smooth-ish roads, it sometimes feels like its oscilating up and down just 5-10mm really fast, then other times it feels real soft!
    There is a mssive difference in ride from Sports to Enduro though - as you'd expect....maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Since having the stiffer springs fitted, the dive is a lot less on hard braking and I haven't got my toes or sidestand down, but I think that's to be expected with the bike sitting higher loaded.

19. what weight springs did you fit?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information