1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seraphina :- "fiery One" (hebrew) A 1991 900ss Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Paul Dobson, Apr 27, 2020.

1. IMG_3329.png IMG_3329.png After much searching I have found the lady I have been looking for. An early white framed 1991 900ss bought from forum member wolfram. 99% complete and in need of some TLC. She looked better fully dressed :-(. Ive spent the weekend taking it to bits, I intend to strip back to the frame and powder coat as a starting point.Carbs need a refresh but not sure whether to rebuild the top end, replace engine studs while the engine is out. The wiring is pretty poor and has a lot of bodged repairs. Looking forward to this :)

• Like Like x 12
  2. Not as much as us!
    Keep us posted.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. IMG_3351.jpg IMG_3352.jpg Progress has been made. The engine has been removed from the frame without drama . Discs have been removed and wheel bearings removed . Bearings weren't so easy to remove ended up using expanding rawlbolts to grip the spacers to drift them out on the advise of a fella on the 900ss facebook group, worked a treat. So next week frame and wheels are off to be powder coated Traffic White. In the meantime I going to degrease the engine and the strip the top end, see what it's like. It may be 944, it may have high compression pistons , we shall see when i take it to bits.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Nice work, like the surreptitious bin placement!
    :)

#4 Carr01, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Them frames a just a piece of art, it’s a shame later Ducati’s don’t use them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. You can’t beat a white frame, I’m not biased btw 4553F6C3-3FBF-405C-95F0-F919829D528E.jpeg CD7B02DB-9649-4347-BE06-93CC34D49B78.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Good luck with the resto .I will enjoy watching your progress

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I agree mate ...Its a beautiful thing

9. Thanks......Its been a joy so far

• Like Like x 1
  10. Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 22.48.52.png Any experts on early 900ss engine paint. My bike was first reg the same time as the magazine cover. The whole engine seams to be black with polished highlights rather than the regular silver. anyone else got one finished like this ?

11. Paul,
    Good luck with restoration, been on with mine about 8 years (poor effort I know). If I can help in anyway please ask.
    Will watch with interest.
    Cheers Gaz
    p.s. each to their own - I am going the aqua blast coat with ACF 50 route for engine. Paint in once paint it forever.

12. don't think I'll be stripping it back to the point where i could polish it...... I might be at it 8 years too !!

View attachment 199451

View attachment 199452

13. Busy weekend....... got the grotty looking old engine cleaned up , degreased, washed, wire brushed and dried. All the flaky paint has gone so time to take it apart . Cambelts are off and the cylinder heads too. The bores look good , I think the studs are original so probably best to replace them. Next job barrels off and check the rings. I think I might send the heads to someone to do the shims, check the valve guides , valves etc ...... anyone have any recommendations ? IMG_3390.jpg IMG_3371.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Paul,
    Head work - Chris at
    http://www.cjsracing.co.uk
    Think most would agree. Had mine done a while ago presume still going. Bristol area.
    Cheers Gaz

15. Hello again Paul - if you didn't know you get 15% discount on the CCW APE cylinder head studs if you subscribe to the Forum (see the Premium Button where there are 2 options, £5 or £15 with the Halfords Trade Card)- you emailed me the other day btw :eyes:

16. Looks like the magazine one has the older style clutch slave which was integral with the HC marked dry clutch cover.

Is your engine the later type? Stein Dinse show the change on the ‘92 model year, which would be produced from about September ‘91, though yours is before that.

#17 Edge_of_Town, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  17. Thanks, good to know. Now I've got the barrels off I'm pretty sure the studs are ok. There not the shiny stainless variety so I think they will be ok. I'm sure there will be a whole load of other bits I will need so thanks for the heads up on the discount and I'll be in touch

• Like Like x 1
  18. Its the later engine but registered 1991. Its painted black currently and I think i will paint it black like the mag cover

19. Thanks Gaz, gonna send the to John Cellier in Leeds. Spoke to him today. top fella

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information