1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Reset Software Tools

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JohnoDuc, May 5, 2021.

1. Anyone know what the current situation is with resetting the service lights on Ducati’s? From what I can find is there used to be some software that would work but now will not.
    Any advice would be helpful as like many I do all my own servicing on my bikes.

2. What model and year bike is it your trying to reset?
    Like you said there is JPDiag software but certainly for the Multistrada features were limited to reading error codes for anything 15 DVT onwards I believe?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mines a Multistrada DVT. Maybe I will have to find a local dealer who will reset it. It’s not currently on but looking at my service history I’m expecting it to come on in June.

4. I'm looking for the same software for a MY15 Panigale 1299 if anyone knows of anything suitable.

5. Following this with interest...

6. I think you might need melcodiag

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 chrisw, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. The tool indicated above ^^ carries this note:
      • RESETS do not work for 2013+ year models
    • No support for 2015+ year models

Nothing less than the OEM Ducati (TEXA) type software will reset Multistrada DVT service lights..and most dealers will not reset it for you unless they do the work.

Melcodiag is no use for resets on post 15 bikes. It ONLY reads some codes.

Its a royal pain in the arse and should have been addressed years ago. No-one should be blackmailed by software warnings to get any machine dealer serviced only. You could ignore the warning of course, but any warning lights can be a fail come MOT time...

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Just rang the dealer for a quote to service my 1299 and asked about the service reset, as my bike is 1000 miles away from the warning light coming on.

They told me not even them as a main dealer, can reset the service light until it actually physically comes on. So they wouldn't be able to reset the service interval count down, if serviced at 6500 and it would still come on at 7500 miles.

So I said if I have the bike serviced now at 6500 miles and over the next 2 months of summer riding, I bang another 1000 miles on the bike and hit 7500 miles, would I have to book another service. They said if in the next few months the service light comes on and they did the service work at 6500 miles they would turn the service light of in that scenario. But if I left it another 6 months they wouldn't reset it without carrying out checks which is fair enough.

Apparently in the last 6 months things have changed and the ecu logs which authorised dealer turned the light off so their is always a record store on the ecu.

10. Whatever the real truth is there ( I am cynical quite how accurate that claim is, or what consequence can befall a dealer who resets a light on a 5 year old bike well out of warranty), it should be possible for any person to reset the service light if the bike is serviced either at home or a non-Ducati dealer.

The printed service book shows who did what and when, but the dash light is an annoyance and potential MOT fail ... THAT is not right. Its a con and should be stopped. Even for warranty purposes, as long as OEM or better kit is used, it does not have to go to Ducati for servicing. (in the UK) so why can only dealers turn off the light?

I can get mine reset by a dealer friend who happens to have a Texa... so its not as hard to get done as some dealers protest it is.

Its the old thing of who you know really. That does not make it right for everyone else though

• Like Like x 1

11. I totally agree, and this confirms what research I have done.
    If anyone knows someone in the Hertfordshire area that has this Texa kit and can reset my service light then please let me know.

12. 100% agree that it is wrong that Ducati have a monopoly on resetting the service light and should be available to any competent workshop undertaking the work.

Regards the dealer saying it logs who turned it off being true or not. I personally believe it would be true as the Tech I talked to seem honest and fair and in my BMW idrive I can check the service history and their is a unique dealer code store against which dealership did the work. The only difference with BMW system is an independent service shop can update the system with the correct software, but the code for who did it is 00000 which I assume is to let BMW know it wasnt undertaken in there franchised network of dealers. But the BMW system does seem fairer / better than the Ducati method and being fair to the Ducati dealer I spoke to they also thought not being able to turn off the service light until it was physically on was also stupid.

#13 BladeRR8, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. You are correct that it stores a dealer code Blade, it does that even with non franchised guys that have a Texa, or even if we as a forum bought one.
    The point I am making, is that some dealers use that as the reason not to do the reset, perhaps insinuating they could be in trouble with Ducati for doing so ?
    Well I do not see how Ducati can tell what bikes have been in what workshops and had whatever done? That aspect is bollox surely
    I also do not see how anyone at Ducati would have the time or interest to ever check who did what and when?
    No-one could ever chase up any warranty claim had the work not physically been done, so there is zero dealer comeback at either end, they are just protecting their monopoly
    No subsequent purchaser can tell who turned off any service lights - its not like the BMW car system, where every dealer name is logged in the car computer cos they do not use service books anymore. Thats why we have paper service books for our bikes.
    Its all smoke and mirrors to force riders into having Ducati only servicing done.
    I think this is something that needs testing in law. The MOT failure thing for any warning light being lit presumably means a biker has no choice but to pay for Ducati servicing (unless they know an independant that happily bends rules). I can get sorted from a personal point of view and have zero legal expertise, so I am not the one to launch any claim.
    No way can that be fair and just under any competition rules though ?

• Like Like x 2
  14. It's not a MOT failure to have a service light lit. In most cases, once the service notification has been displayed, it rolls off the screen. MOT failure is for engine or chassis warning lights or relating to emissions (DPF on a car for instance)
    The service indicator can now be reset with the Ducati diagnostic tool with the option not to record it on the Ducati database. Most bikes from 2014 are now being recorded when serviced by the network workshops. Owners can view their own bikes history on the Ducati app.
    Up until we had that option, I for one wouldn't do a reset unless we had done the work. Why would I? It's a digital signature to the work being done, by me and correctly. I'm not prepared to sign off to anything done by anyone else. I will and have now done it, but it's not recorded and carries a small charge.
    If we do reset a service indicator and record it after we have carried out a service, then yes, Ducati know who did it as the tech logs in, or in the very least the dealer ID is recorded. This is noted for warranty, goodwill etc. and believe me, someone does take the time to go thru it all and computers are churning out monthly reports. We can draw the reports off what was done, when, VIN numbers, mileage etc. etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3

15. The saving over carrying out the servicing myself will probably buy one of these Texa units. if a bike is out of warranty what is the problem

• Like Like x 1
  16. Great info thanks Nelly:upyeah:

17. That is very interesting a pretty much clears everything up.
    Where are you based?

18. I’m north Notts, near Mansfield. Cornerspeed Ducati

• Like Like x 1
  19. Unless the rules have been revised post Brexit.

The having your bike serviced outside of an approved main dealer invalidates your warranty for motorcycles, only for cars does this apply.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information