1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Servicing/upgrade Advice

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Tans826, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Hey all
    Need to service my 95 748, I know this has been done to death so I apologise but what oil is everyone using?
    Secondly going to change the chain and sprockets and thinking of changing the ratios at the same time, what is a happy medium of top end speed and acceleration? Don't need to max the thing out but still want to be able to scare myself!
    Finally thinking of changing the sprocket carrier to a quick release billet one, worth doing?
    Regards
    Dave

2. OIL 15/50
    yes to quick release sprocket will stop the cush rubbers eating the swing arm adjuster
    drop a tooth on the front.

3. Motul 300v.

4. 748 is 14T front standard.

5. could go up a tooth on the rear then??

6. Motul 300v 15/50 well worth the extra money, quick releace sprocket carrier is a very good upgrade and I wouldn't change the gearing.
    Steve

7. Cheers guys, awesome as always. Motul 300v 15/50 it is.
    14f 40r is what I was thinking. What is standard rear?
    Sold on the quick release then, how does it stop the cush drives from damaging the arm?

8. OEM is 14/38, the carriers have a lip cast/machined onto the face which prevents the cush from moving out, you can see it if you look on here http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/shop.php?cat=22 click on the picture and you can see it at 12 o'clock

9. 40 rear require a longer chain, check the links I put up.

10. 20170703_100552.jpg
    Just done mine, as the cush drives came out and ate my hub. Below is the m&p one with the lip, and a renthal sprocket fitted.Well worth doing.
    20170703_110850.jpg 20170703_100552.jpg

11. Cheers lads, think I am going to go for a 14/40 and will go for the quick release hub. Am I likely to find the Cush drives shagged and needing replacing?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. Worth just replacing them anyway if existing ones have done a fair mileage then the job is as good as it can possibly be.

13. Isn't the Motul 300V overkill for road use?
    Also not sure if true or not but apparently race oils are serving only one purpose to gain as much power as possible, long term engine life is not an issue as they get rebuilt quite often.
    I am using Motul 300V 15/50 but that is for the track bike...althou I strongly believe Motul 7100 should be as good.

14. That looks identical to the Renthal carrier, in which case there should be a big washer under the circlip, otherwise there will/might be enough lateral play for the carrier to just touch the eccentic adjuster and rub. It's not as bad as the cush drive problem but it can happen. The issue is eliminated by fitting the later style hub, which has a conical spacer and no circlip.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Like this

wear on carrier.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The circlip on mine ate away the groove until it did machine the eccentric a little.

[​IMG]

I fitted the later 998 style with conical spacer then a few years later a cush drive went and finished the job off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information