1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shakedown Ride On Refurbed 900 Ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Scottiebike, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Had to go and buy some milk, so essential journey to shakedown / test my 900 carbie after its winter refurb!
    Long list of work carried out -
    • powder coated front fairing support frame, handlebars, rear sus spring & top yoke
    • new steering head bearings - made a big difference
    • front discs stripped, carriers painted, bobbins cleaned - perfect braking feel now
    • calipers F & R stripped & painted
    • new HEL brake & clutch hoses
    • new chain & sprockets - rear changed to 39T. Much better at low speeds
    • forks stripped & cleaned out, new seals, 5W oil, bottoms satin polished
    • wiring tidied up - perished rubber boots replaced on some ends, all connectors cleaned
    • exhaust downpipes cleaned off with Harpic x10 - amazing results
    • flaky engine paint removed & painted
    • all bolt heads cleaned , a few replaced
    • screen scratches polished out - came up really nice
    • few scratches touched in & polished out
    • stainless steel oil cooler guard made & fitted
    • removed all the crumbling foam from under tank - no more bits in airbox!
    • removed every bit of grime form the hidden corners - complete bike now very, very clean :)
    Lovely little thing to work on and even better to ride! Fork refresh has worked wonders for the front end feel - definitely on rails and more supple with the 5W oil. Maxxis tyres it came with are pretty good , 170 rear so no problems with rubbing on new to me carbon hugger - old one had been scored and nearly worn through ( 180 tyre?)

Can't wait for the 29th March and hopefully better weather. :)

20210318_151307.jpg

• Like Like x 30
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. very nice, another one saved, hope you have many happy miles on it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Looking very good. Mine is up for sale but I am starting to hope that it won't sell, I will then put it back on the road next year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. You best go back out again today as you forgot the loaf of bread.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Keep it, you know it makes sense!

@Scottiebike, that reads very comprehensive and looks fab, great bikes.
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lovely I would be finding lots of shopping excuses :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2

Hi there - lovely job. Great bikes. I restored a later 900ss - got to admit yours is prettier.

What did you use to polish out the screen?

7. Xerapol acrylic polish / scratch remover. Don't use T Cut ! Too abrasive. I used 3000 grit wet & dry on a few scratches first then Xerapol. Worked well

8. Great looking job!
    I'm currently fettling mine after a long time off the road (a 1994 900SS) - can you tell me what difference did the Hel braided clutch line make? I was considering changing mine but not sure how the clutch would feel afterwards - harder, better or just 'different'? I'm using a standard Ducati clutch slave cylinder at the moment which I rebuilt with a 'X Ring' to replace the original O ring, (also I have the original 1994 rubber clutch hose!).
    Cheers Pete
    Has anyone tried this clutch line, made by "Wezmoto", £23.50 plus delivery, (various colours) Clutch hose.JPG

9. My bike has an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder - Jap market "fine feather" !! Looks similar to Oberon. It had the original clutch hose still fitted which had a split in it and was weeping. The HEL hose has not affected the action - it still feels smooth and reasonably light. The HEL hose was £33 - not sure. Excellent, prompt service from their website. I wanted all the hoses to match :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cheers Scottie, I didnt consider the thing about having hoses matching (clutch and brakes), that's a good idea. I was wondering about a red clutch line but on second thoughts maybe that'd be a bit too bling. So possibly clear/silver?
    Can I ask what colour did you choose from Hel, and are you happy with how it looks?

11. One of the best looking Ducati’s ever IMO, better looking than a 916, (holds breath and ducks!)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I fitted a Wezmoto clutch line to my SS not so long ago. I think it’s absolutely fine. Nicely finished with stainless steel fittings, looks fine in clear, can’t vouch for the coloured versions. Noticeable how much clearer the clutch fluid is now that the original clutch line has been binned, been on there for 27 years.
    Also used Wezmoto brake line on the 600 Monster more recently.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stainless with clear covering - very well finished hoses and fittings. Lots of other good makes available!

20201219_160744 (1).jpg

14. That looks fantastic Scottie I like your choice of clear steel hoses - think I'll get something similar for my clutch line, cheers.
    I'm always surprised by how many variations of frame, forks, wheel colours, fairing decals there are, this is my 1994 front, as you can see I have 'bronze' fork bottoms unlike your silver ones, my frame is bronze too and as you
    can see the wheels are a sort of silver/bronze colour, (which look good as long as they're clean!)
    Front Forks.jpeg

15. Very similar to my ‘97 SS.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information