1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shinny

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by jcmental, Apr 25, 2017.

1. So heres a question.
    I use Castrol bike polish, I use it because it's clear and doesn't leave white bits in all the places you cant get your cloth into.
    But I don't think it leaves a deep shine, sure it's better but you see some bikes with a real deep glossy shine.
    Anyone know a polish that is like the above? a deep shine and clear in case you dribble a bit?

2. Might be worth looking in a detailing forum but be prepared to be leaped upon by the most OCD people on the planet :)

I know this as my eldest step son is one of them and a polish snob with his car

He used to use Autoglym range but recently switched to Auto Finesse as his preferred choice, i'll ask him when he is home tomorrow if you like

3. Thread moved and maybe our very own @rob lewis can help you.

Ps. It's spelt shiny ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I was about to tag Rob ET

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Welcome mate, Merguiars quick spray wax if you're a lazy git like me? Very quick but very effective, I only use occasionally on car as I never really clean bike that much, but it's good on car panels and is clear

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If you want a deep shine....then you must start with a machine polish to remove swirls, wash marring etc....after that a good durable wax....Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax is excellent and will outlast most wax out there.....top it off with Gtechniq C2v3 for amazing colour depth.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. May be a daft question to some, but what do you mean by a machine polish @rob lewis. Is it an actual machine, if so what type, or is it a type of polish ?

8. Autoglym instance showroom shine or Mr sheen do a good job

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. It's a bit of both ;)

10. Wow thanks guys, I didn't know there was so much enthusiasm for this kinda thing. I'm lucky I guess I use PH neutral bike wash and make sure there is no dirt on my bike before I polish it, I blow dry it with an electric leaf blower after every wash to, so up to now there are no "Swirly" marks on my paint work.
    I was looking back at some of the photos my dealer sent me once they had build the bike and the paint was gleaming, just made me wonder why I cant get it to look like that 3 years on.

#10 jcmental, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thank you DB, that's really useful :Banghead:
    :):):)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yep its an actual machine polish....this corrects any defects in the paint prior to application of a wax or gloss enhancing product....defects look like ' spiders webs ' in the paint.

13. I try :)

14. Hi Everyone
    I am a Newbie, just joined.
    I have just recently purchased a 959 Tri Options cup edition. The Panigale does not come with a clear coat finish on the paint??? I know, Ducati gotta love em'
    I used to use Ventureshield to protect the bikes.
    I have now discovered Hybrid X Nano paint protection coating!
    It is professionally applied like Ventureshield and is stone chip scratch resistant like V'shield but, No visible lines (Had White 848 with it) also it is applied all over the bike, plastic, metal-wheels, even mirror front to give a full bike protection, Gloss shine is permanent and i mean permanent! You still need to wash the bike but dirt and grime just come off easily with cold water!!
    Cost is comparable to V'shield and you get a 5 year warranty.
    Best accessory for the bike..Ever
    Thanks, great forum from reading the posts!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Like most people, I have a garage full of part used polishes.
    I was prompted by an Auto-Express test to dig out some cheap as chips Halfords Car Polish the other day and try it on the 999. I cannot believe how effective it is. It imparts a deep gloss to paintwork that just gets better if you apply more coats and not only does it not leave white reside, it actually polishes textured plastic beautifully as well. I've even used it on the controversial grey swing-arm of my 999 and it looks great. Fab on carbon too.

Highly recommended!

16. Ive been using Mer. But it does leave those white bits. However I aint fussed. As long as its clean and shinyish, then thats ok for me.

17. I feel really daft asking but is a machine polish a buffing sponge attached to a drill ?

18. Ask @rob lewis he's a professional detailer and a really helpful guy. Helped me out a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Hi Duncs....machine polish is this.... DSC_0021.JPG

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information