1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Shock/damper Removal

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by duc996bp, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Can anyone please desciribe the best/correct way to remove the rear damper on a 1098? I have the bike lifted on a Abba stand, I have removed the bottom damper bolt, however access to the top bolt is bad! Before I start removing the other bits surrounding, whats the best way to the top bolt?

2. From memory, I think I removed the entire rocker and ride height rod assembly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ok, that was my thought, just wanted to make sure I'm not seeing things correctly.

4. It’s quite tight in there...especially with a full system.

5. yes it is, wasn't sure if I had to start taking the seat assy off. I will have a crack at it later today. Cheers

6. You may also find you have to remove the exhaust to let the swing arm drop far enough to remove the shock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ok will look later, thanks. I have to say, I'm used to working on a 996, I have removed the forks and now doing the rear damper on my 1098, the bike is a real pain to work on compared to the 996!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Absolutely...I had a 916 and everything can be removed in minutes. The 1098 is a significant pain in the arse from a maintenance perspective. Everything is unnecessarily complex compared to the 916.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Let me know how you get on as I want to change the ride height adjuster on my 1098.
    Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The biggest issue with my 848 Evo was being able to drop the swingarm down far enough. On an ABBA stand you need to take the wheel off, to allow you to drop the swingarm far enough to avoid having to take the whole rocker assembly out. The issue you face (maybe not with the full system, but with standard) is that there is a Lambda sensor which stops you dropping it far enough so easier to take that out. I didn't and struggled. It's a pig of a job.

11. Well that was a pain. This was the order I did things, not saying its right, but I got there in the end. There has to be a better way!!

Bike on Abba stand, rear wheel off floor. Removed lower damper mounting bolt. Cant get to top bolt as frame tube in way. Cant remove rocker because seat frame in way. Removed seat and tail side panels. Removed 4 bolts securing seat frame, moved seat frame up a touch. Now access to rocker bolts, height adjuster end and pivot bolt for rocker. Can now remove top damper bolt. Cant remove damper because not enough clearance. Swingarm needs to move lower but cant because of exhaust mid-pipe. Remove wheel, end-cans and mid-pipe. Lower swingarm and remove bloody damper!

When I put it all back together I need to see how I can do that better.

p.s. its a 1098s

• Like Like x 3
  12. Simples!

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information