1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shocked At Prices

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Oct 15, 2020.

1. My TV is fine and a hardly use it but Amazon must of caught me looking at TVs. This Akai Full HD 40 inch TV is with free delivery is £210 that they want to sell me! My current TV that is about 32 inch was £500 from John Lewis is on of their sales. TVs are getting cheap - I hope Harley electric bikes go the same way!

2. My sony 42" is around 8 years old, My 52" LG is 4 years old. The Sony beats the pants of the LG in quality of picture. LG blacks are charcole and grey at best. Smart fewatures are rubbisg to with dropping signal

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LG actually makes the screens for most TV manufacturers. (I am not sure about Sony mind). I also have a Sony Bravia at the mo. :)

4. My Sony Bravia switches itself off and on.

I dread buy in a new telly, but nowadays all you need is a monitor

5. I've got a Sony Bravia and mine does that. That's why Amazon caught me looking at TVs. I just leave it turned off at the main switch now and don't use the remote to switch it on and off. That seemed to have fixed the problem.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Is it a setting that switches off if you have not say changed channel etc in a given time frame?

7. Sony do buy their screens from S Korea as do many other TV makers so it’ll be LG or Samsung. Think LG are the only company that makes OLED screens-weird but true

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dunno. I was just watching Blu-rays or DVDs. If it was left on standby from the night before, I couldn't even switch it on.

9. At the risk of sounding really old lol. They do not make electronic stuff now - like they used to do.
    Our first Washer, Fridge, Oven and Hob all lasted well over a decade each before they failed. Now - its a couple or three years at best, no matter how much we seem to pay :(

The electrical stuff they make now is just shit. If you still have older and working flat screens - stick with 'em :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. To be fair prob get further on your telly than that bloody Harley

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. My sharp tv switches itself off if the remote hasn’t been used for a while along with sky :grinning:

12. Sitting watching telly, next thing, goes off and straight back on again.

Sony Bravia cira stoneage

13. I'd definitely rather ride a Sony than a Sportster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. If the Sony is a Android based model,they are glitchy
    Try a factory reset and see if it will do a firmware update afterwards
    All the cheaper smaller sets as in Akia ,celcus JVC Panasonic are all made by Vestel
    Id avoid LG oleds ,read tbe reviews on screen patches

15. If you want an electric bike which is of the same standard that an Akai telly is in the telly scheme of things, then there are electric motorcycles on Ali Baba.

A decent telly is still expensive, like a decent bike is....

#15 rodericb, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  16. s
    As my current thinking (and it could change tomorrow) is to get a decent electric bike of quality, I do want to get something decent. Ducati is not out of the question but I would want to be assured that I am not just paying more for the brand.

17. Electric motorbikes are probably at the same place as Plasma and LCD tellies were twenty years ago. The batteries are expensive and heavy, which is what you don't want in an affordable motorcycle! But there's a lot of R&D going into battery technology so they'll get better. I don't think I'll be chopping in my petrol powered bikes for electric though, as I done ride bikes for utility, just for leisure. If anything curtails my riding in the coming decades it'll probably be noise regulations and "noise cameras"!

18. Just had a new Toshiba delivered this week. Huge thing for about 320 euros.
    Old Samsung plasma tv now moved downstairs. I noticed the manufacture date is 2008! It still works perfect and the picture quality is better than the new tv. Got to admit the Toshiba was purchased purely on price though. Get what you pay for.

19. I got interested in electric bikes for local exploring. As I was getting tired of all of the DVLA crap about giving me my driving license back (never heard of you: have you ever passed a driving test?: here, let's start again and get you a provisional license: And you want a motorbike license without doing CBT? You can forget that, you spotty learner youth -said by someone who is going to be young enough to be my child!) I would like to try one for size first. Apparently there are four Ducati stores in the UK but I can only find the address of the one in Manchester, which is too far from me.

20. Just bought a 43" LG nano cell tv for our Kitchen spruce up project.....While my wife was not happy about it (why the fuck do we need a new tv when theres a perfectly good one there?!) - an old 32 samsung flat screen (13 years old).

1. Bigger screen.
    2. Brighter (sun comes up at the back of the house)
    3. Old TV has no smart stuff (Google chrome plugged in the back along with a firestick)
    4. Due to this loads more cables.
    5. The real biggie...all of that burns 140w of power when its all powered up. The new tv burns under half that. (got smart sockets everywhere!)
    6. Bluetooth. Our kitchen diner is of a reasonable size and is L-Shaped. So ive got a JBL speaker paired to it so i dont have to have the TV blaring - i can use both the tv and bluetooth speaker or just the bluetooth speaker (and place it near me). During the day when im working from home ive got the tv on all the time....

Shifted the old TV on to my older brother who is notoriously tight for 60 quid.... :)

Ive been updating all the sockets, bulbs and dimmers with smart stuff which has cut my electricity bills by (id say about 35%) so more than happy.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information