1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoei Nxr Purchase And Recessed Earphones

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by damodici, Sep 18, 2020.

1. I think it's new helmet time in the damodici household, I have always worn Shoei as they fit my face and head shape so have no reason to consider anything else. It's not about money, it's about comfort and safety for me

Current lid is exceptional being the Shoei XSpirit 2 but it is more a race focused lid so may keep that for track days, although may sell it, who knows.

Anyway, the NXR looks to tick the boxes for my general all rounder and probably better for the longer tour stuff I do as from what I gather it has recesses behind the ear sections?

Apparently you can pull out the ear piece padding and drop in some speakers for Bluetooth music or pair with an intercom so I can tell my mate to stop being a dick and hurry up, is that right?

Also want to install the chin curtain, I presume that is easy enough and you don't get one in the box?

Appreciate any insight, cheers ladies and gents

2. NXR really good helmet my packtalk speakers fit in the speaker holes without any issues and also have the chin curtain fitted which is an easy job to do, I find it really quiet compared to my ex spirit 3 and can wear it all day long with no problems

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ive got an interphone F5mc in my xspirit 3 - interphone do upgraded speakers for it (its quite generic so fits most shoei helmets)...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. The Shoei GT Air is good. You can get an integrated com’s system.

Air vents and integrated tinted visor as well, all good for touring or everyday use.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. The integrated comms for the GT Air 2 is the Sena SRL 2 and is old technology bluetooth which I am finding, has its limitations. Andy

#5 Android853sp, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Doing a bit of digging this morning i 'think' the chin curtain is generic fit across most Shoei by the looks of things, the Sportsbikeshop list it as fitting Spirit 2 (mine current), Spirit 3, NXR etc so fingers cross that's swappable.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/101548

Whats the packtalk like? There seems to be a few options and most of the images don't show speakers so is it a mix and match thing?

7. The latest technology is MESH and the Cardo gets the better write up. Although MESH is generic technology, the Cardo version of MESH is not compatible with the Sena version of MESH. Most units will pair with bluetooth ear buds if you don’t want speakers. Andy

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. The problem Im facing is a lack of understanding with the comms units and connectivity across different brands/sets

So, the last short lived tour i did my best mate had a comms system (cheap unknown brand to me) which he was listening to music on and could also make and receive calls on his mobile. I also 'Think' he could talk to some of the other riders in the group, not sure whether he could all of them but i do know that certain lads have a fancy BMW comms system which they bought at the same time as their GS1250's, im adamant he could communicate with them unless he was just using his phone

The question therefore is, do all comms systems have to be the same brand to interact with each other as a comm? Or do you just need to have the same technology transmission type and/or be on the same 'channel' ?

Of course i understand that if everyone has a different brand but they're all connected to phones then technically you can just call each other using that method.

Excuse my ignorance but it would make the world much easier if everyone didn't have to have the same brand as i don't want a dirt cheap unit, equally i won't need top of the line either as most times i'll be out solo or just listening to tunes & receiving calls

9. Both Cardo and Sena have a ‘Universal’ pairing mode which is usually restricted to one other rider. Same brand connectivity is usually up to about 8 others but IME, bluetooth group connectivity is challenging to set up and the quality is pretty shit. This is where MESH comes in as each unit will talk to any (same brand MESH unit) that is in range, no invitation required in open mode. The Cardo website explains it quite well. I believe Cardo and Sena MESH units still do a ‘Universal’ mode in bluetooth. Andy

10. I have just realised, my reference to the Sena SRL2 for the GT Air should be for the newer GT Air 2. Sorry for any confusion. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. I’ve an NXR with scala q something fitted, sounds good and easy to use with gloves.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The NXR will come with a new chin curtain, I’ve only ever used cardo packtalks go for the BLACK or JBL one for better sound

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. #13 damodici, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I didn’t know that. Very disappointing as it’s priced high enough.
    The thought of an integrated system appealed to me, largely for wind noise reduction. The systems that attach to the side of a lid increase wind noise.

What will it do and what won’t it do?

15. I've got a Cardo Packtalk Slim fitted to my NRX. There are earphone recesses of about 40mm diameter in the helmet and the earphones of the Cardo would have fit perfectly if the earphones were completely round but they have a slight teardrop shape where the wire goes into the earpiece, so I had remove a small amount of the Black plastic lining of the NRX to get a flush fit (see piccy). I also had to reduce the length of the metal prongs that slide beneath the helmet's shell to hold the battery at the back due to the acute angle in the helmet's shape. Other than that everything tucks away nicely behind the NRX's removable lining.

I've only ever used Cardo intercoms so I can't say if they're the best but I reckon they work pretty well. There's a group of 5 of us that use them and once they're connected they are pretty clear, activate when someone speaks and don't activate due to wind noise. The only real issue is getting everyone connected to the group - we have to fiddle around with the app every time we use them! I think it might be because each group you create has an 'owner' and if the owner isn't there the group can't be used - not sure but annoying all the same.

Oh yeah, and the NRX comes with a chin guard, a breathguard and a pinlock insert in the box. I haven't fitted either of the guards and I don't think the breathguard is necessary if you have the pinlock fitted, unless you're riding in really cold weather.

DSC_0541.JPG DSC_0544.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  16. Looks like the Bold is a better fit and I had no issues fitting their speakers A57F6E7A-2119-4C51-BDF8-0107A94BF741.jpeg 264579BA-7EC0-4855-A01D-2AF4F300FF59.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. So the jbl ones that come with the bold in the box fit flush in the nxr?

Also no problem using the bracket and squeezing that up the side between the outer and inner helmet?

I really want to avoid the adhesive bracket

18. Yeah I don't think there's any way the Packtalk slim control unit could be pushed fully home onto the hard shell but there's a fair bit of padding below the shell so it doesn't look like it's just hanging in mid air. Also, the prong that goes up under the shell is 4 inches at least, there's no way it's falling out. However, I did have to cut down the prong for the battery to maybe 2cm (see pic) but it's a tight fit so again it's totally secure, and it's hardwired to the control unit so even if it did work loose it wouldn't fall to the ground.

PS if you have any comments about my metal cutting skills, please keep them to yourself. I didn't think to use the Dremel, I just went with tin snips and a file.
    Cardo battery prongs.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fits flush and I used the adhesive pad as it was a better fit, What I can remember I think it was a little bit tight using the metal bracket

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information