1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoei X Spirit 3....is It Just Me?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by comfysofa, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Bought mine just before Xmas. Only used it a handful times since then but, when ever I'm using it at any speed I literally get a jet if air up through the front making my eyes water instantly... Anyone else get this..? In cold weather it makes it difficult to use (I'm kind hoping it'll benefit mid summer though for that reason)

I bought it as my Simpson was away for warranty work for an age and felt Iike I needed a spare. At the moment my Simpson indy car lid is better in every way (to me) which was surprising as i was expecting my Simpson lid to be bested in every way.

Wasnt sure if it was cos Im on either my Z1000 or hyper being setup bikes and it more of a racer type lid.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

2. I have been wearing my new Kagayama for two weeks and have noticed that the ventilation system is totally different to the X Spirit II. The lower chin vent for the cheek pads does nothing because it's below the Multistrada's screen edge, the visor vent works okay if a trifle weak, the two position fore head vent is like sitting in a jet stream and the two position crown vent is 'kin cold at this time of year. I also noticed that the 35mm cheek pads lost their resistance very quickly. Could be because I've gone up a shell size but have now fitted 39mm pads and it feels a lot better. I going to persevere and see how it performs on the 1098. Still like it a lot because it's supremely comfortable and a lot quieter at sub motorway speeds. Andy

3. Hmmm.... Now you say it the chin bar is in the box (I'll have to get it out and test). I'm really surprised as if I get into any conversations about lids and then say I've got a Simpson (speedway shark) in my case I immediately get told "it's not a bike helmet...." well, if the X spirit 3 is the pinnacle then they've got a lot to learn! My Simpson is light years ahead of the Shoei.... Its quieter, more comfortable, I don't get jet of air over my face, more stable at high speed. I might be being a bit harsh at the moment as the Shoei isnt really broken in yet and Ive yet to try the chin guard but the Simpson was perfect out of the box.

The only thing I can mark the Simpson down on is the fact that it has no ear recesses for a comms system (the other reason I chose the Shoei - there's a custom interphone headphone set for it) not really a fault of the Simpson in a way as its a proper race lid (albeit indy car!)

#3 comfysofa, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. I'm not surprised that your Simpson is different, it's designed to be worn in an entirely different environment especially as its beneath the engine airbox intake so the helmet mustn't affect the air flow. The chin area won't be in an air flow either so the vent set up will be very different. I've fitted both the breathguard, the chin curtain and the little deflector that fits on the bottom leading edge. Without closing the vents, I don't think you are going to be able to get away from the air flow across your face, maybe restrict it but not get rid of it otherwise the visor will just mist up. Although I haven't tried to fit the pin lock yet, a point to note is that the dark race visor is not shaped like the clear visor so the enclosed pin lock looks it won't fit. Andy

5. I've got the race black visor. Pinlock fits mine fine. With regards to lid being worn in a different environment.... Yes, true, but it works brilliantly for me.... The visor on the Simpson while does mist up its no where near as fast as the Shoei without the Pinlock.

6. And there you have the nub of it, it works for you which is really great and more fortunate than many for whom most helmets are a compromise. Don't be too hard on the Shoei, it is one of the few helmets that get a 5 star safety testing rating. Hope your Simpson gets returned soon. Andy

7. Oh yeah... Got the Simpson back just before I got the Shoei.... I'll keep the Shoei..... I was just expecting more based on the reviews Id read... (in a way I refer my self to my bike reviews thread)... I should have known! [emoji1]

8. x spirit 3 is designed to be used leant over,
    simpson 'not a bike helmet' is designed for a slightly different angle.

i personally get no more air onto my eyes than any other helmet, if not less than the cheaper ones, then again i use s neck scalf or snood if its cold. but if its hot i wear no neck thingy.

the things i dislike about my x spirit 3.

i cant have half the visor closed and half open (like tilted)
    mostly because the shoeis visor is so much thinker. and better i guess but that is somthing i miss being able to do

9. Well, this really is a "jet of air" - almost like the visor is open at say 40mph, but, coming up from underneath - ive had other bike helmets before - not for a long time but, this is the first ive experienced like this. This was my reason for the post....its more than ive ever experienced on any other helmet ever..

Stuff i dont like...theres that lever thing on the front below the visor - unless ive got something set wrong it serves no purpose. The simpson while not having a pin lock system doesnt have a visor where it goes up in increments is strong enough to hold itself at most speeds so i can literally open it a mm or 2 and it demists without any problem.

10. Don't forget that the visor vent has 2 positions and I agree in the fully open position it does seem to allow a lot of air in. I found the dark visor is slightly thicker on the closing edge because that little clip replaces the one that used to be a bit further round to just crack the visor open or lock it in position. Andy

11. Ill have a play when i get home.....no bikes for me this weekend....been away for the last 2 days with the wife and tater tots and now pulling a 12hour overtime jobby at work just to pay for a little bit of it...! i fully expect to be asleep on the couch most of the day tomorrow....or washing the car if im press-ganged into it!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information