1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shorai’m Seeing Flames!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mark9, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have never had any problems with Lithium batteries but I thought I’d ask Shorai what would happen if ones reg/rec failed when out for a ride...
    AC2F69FA-039E-44B9-B62D-DA8DC39CEA8D.png 95167F41-D124-4F23-A5B2-E05AEA024CED.png Above is what they said, how many is “not too many” ?

#1 Mark9, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. Have you asked Yuasa what happens to their batteries if the reg/rec failed when out on a ride?

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  3. Investigated your link further the other day with the American Reg / Rec manufacturer who make Mofset Type Reg /Recs and even they say do not use them - they now make an entirely different model Reg / Rec for use with LiFePo batteries (which is what you linked on the doomed thread).

4. have they told ducati this with the newer models that are fitted with lithium batteries?

5. They don't do any for newer models that are sold with Lithium batteries :thinkingface: not sure what they do different and how they account for the lack of airflow and additional heat from the exhaust on the 1098 model types though - but they do a model for them...

6. Andy, I have had three reg failures and on one the voltage went up to 19v at the battery, it melted a hole in the battery case and I lost about a thimble full of acid from the battery (it was an AGM) which did minor damage to the battery box (but not enough to replace it) and spattered a few small drops around the engine leaving 1mm brown spots on the paint work behind the fairing. Bike was fully drivable and the issue not detectable without measuring the battery voltage with the engine running, the fault existed for at least 140 miles and 4hours of driving before I found it. I now use a DC voltmeter to monitor the condition of the battery and charging system. The other reg failures just meant the battery ran down and the bike would not start, nearly had a breakdown with one until I realised what the problem was and drove the last half mile with the headlight off, battery just lost charge and was not damaged. They were all Yuasa batteries and two the failures (one voltage loss and the high voltage failure) occurred with the same battery fitted which was the original factory fitted Yuasa that lasted until 7 years old.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Erm, you have said this before - the standard batteries do not fire the Reg/Rec - so your argument is just being antagonistic - you are a very odd. A standard battery can leak. A Lithium can explode / burn and also set off a fire further away at the Reg / Rec - can you see the difference there? Nope: you just want to argue - well done Andy P-oppins, practically perfect in every way aren't you :):upyeah: When given some irrefutable info (that you actually put me on to yourself by the way) you just ignore - very well done :bucktooth:

8. I think you’ll find it’s shoite regulators that make the batteries go boom overcharging same for yuasa as a lithium

#10 andyb, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. So to sum up:
    Ducati, a uk mofset Reg manufacturer, a US mofset Reg manufacturer, and people that know of incidents say don’t.
    Andy and others who have them fitted and ‘haven’t had a problem yet’ say do.

Mmm, well people can make their own minds up from that :):upyeah:

10. Ducati a company that fits lithium ion batteries as standard to their bikes along with the same part regulators as the non lithium batteries also fitted as standard!... i believe you said this earlier in one of the threads ..

Shorai and other lithium battery suppliers supply them for a range of ducatis ... with a caveat that as long as the idiot ducati owner doesn't
    a) put them on a trickle charger that has a desulphating cycle.
    b) fit them on to a shitter of a bike that has a fooked regulator and it over charges them probably the same as the fooked standard battery that it replaced and said idiot ducati owner was oblivious to and didn't sort the root of the problem, the over charging due to the fooked regulator, as well!

As either of the two above issues could result in the battery failing or it failing other parts of the machine or at worse case scare them tactic, set fire to the bike! A bit like fitting any after market non standard parts like sprockets chains and belts and so on...it could result in failure and seriously damage the machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Do ducati fit lithium ion batteries to new ducati bikes?
    Is there anything different about the charging system fitted on them said bikes?

still chipping away again as you are always right!! and the common denominator in the downfall of most of the threads, have a look in the mirror! ........ could be worse i could of fooked about with the standard wiring too....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Serious question.
    Did you go back to your mate who said just disconnect the gen set and you'll get 3-4Bhp more, just to check his exact meaning?

13. I wonder what Shorai meant by they don't see many fires :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  14. didn't need to ...and he didn't say what you are saying...

15. I know, I see that, I understand, I’m a Libran, but oftentimes it amazes me...

“That’s black”

“No... it’s white”

“No ......... it’s black”

“No .....................it’s white”

“Nooo...........you retard it’s black”

“No .............you colour blind eejit it’s white”

And so on.

When really it’s 2 people looking at the same thing from different sides of the window. Both are right, based upon what they can see. Both have a biased view because of where they’re standing. Both would change their view if they came round the other side of the window and both would then see what the other sees.

Anyway, enough Confucius stuff. I didn’t mean to moderate, not my job, I was just relaying what I saw from my side of the window. :)

On a different but slightly related note. It’s good to see Everclear is back. Now we need that other non-snowflake, ItalianStallion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. We should all jus fit what we like.

I wIll take the risk with my bike, I dont care if yours catches fire...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. andyb said: "top tip for the track bike is to disconnect one of the 3 yellow wires out from the generator to regulator...no need for the extra charge ie no lights etc, and there is a horsepower gain!!"
    andyb said: "yep ...worth around 4-5hp if it helps its not my idea i was advised by a leading motorcycle electronic genius! you dont need the extra capacity on a track bike with no lights heated grips, twat nav and so on.."

You've a terrible memory or more than one consciousness occupies that skull of yours?

18. You said about disconnecting the gen set.
    As I read it, he didnt..

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information