1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Should It Stay Or Should It Go Now?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Boyd1005, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Looking from a bit of good advice from the learned on here please.

I have a 2017 1299 base model with a genuine 7500 miles on it. It has been upgraded as follows;
    Ohlins TTX rear shock, ohlins steering damper and ohlins NIX30 cartridges in the marzocchi forks
    Ducati Performance Akrapovic end cans with Sprint filter and upmap
    Ducati performance rearsets and DP tail tidy and led indicators and lots of carbon fibre blingage as you do

My Bike is mint but herein lies my problem - I really dont use it - at all really if i'm honest.
    I 'm very fortunate to also have a late 2017 Multistrada 1200 DVT at my disposal which usually wins out over the Pani when we get that rarest of things - a dry day in the west of ireland. I find the pani beautiful to just stare at in my garage but very uncomfortable after 40 miles or so. My Multi is also getting on a bit in years but I have it from new and it too is in top condition with lots of upgrades.

Looking for advice please- should I..................
    Keep the Pani as it is the last of the big v-twin superbikes - my concern being mine might be considered a bitsa and a genuine S would probably always win out in the desirability stakes. Is mine desirable as it stands. (I do have all the stock bits).
    OR
    Be sensible, act my age and chop in both bikes towards a brand new Multi V4s

All thoughts welcome please. Thanks for your help!

BTW I have no interest in a Monster, Diavel, Hypersport or worst of all a Supersport

#1 Boyd1005, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. I don't think any of the panigale range will appreciate in value and will reduce in value over time. there are just too many of them. I don't even think the specials or superlegerras will appreciate, too many specials being produced too often. I have a few old bikes 20 years to 50 years old and really they aren't an investment.

We own multiple bikes because we can and we love them. I understand your riding preference and why the Pani gets left in the garage. But is a beautiful bike to sit in a garage (or house) and look at. So the only ask then is can you afford to loose a few hundred pounds a year to look at it , or could the cash be better spent elsewhere.

its possible to get nonriding/ SORN insurance - probably worth doing that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seems that the sought after models are “R” followed by “S”. Base models with (even with a better than S spec) may be a better buy used in terms of value to the purchaser, but unlikely to keep value or even appreciate in the same way. IMO.
    R designated Monster 1200 bring a LOT more money here than base models. In fact base models are fairly cheap used, Jap bike money. R versions seem to be the sought after ones in the long term.749 and 999 for example fetching the same high prices here as in the UK (asking price anyway..). But base models. Base prices.

4. Some really nice modifications which I know the trend on here is to say to put the bike back to standard. IMO in this case, I think your mods make it stand out and whilst you won’t get your outlay back, it will put it above a lot of what is out there. It’s good that you have all the original bits which if the new owner doesn’t want, you can sell separately. If you are not riding and it’s not comfortable, there is cheaper art out there if you want to look at something. Good luck. Andy

#4 Android853sp, Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I'd keep the 1299 if you can and chop the multi for the V4s. I don't hardly ride my 1299 over her much either but love the luck of it. The minute u get rid of it one of those sunny days will come out and you will say feck I wish I still had it. Where in the west are you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Galway

7. Grew up outside Loughrea, used to ride my X5 all over the place back in the day.

8. id keep the 1299, thats almost the best set up you can get, base model money with better than S suspension, just get some light weight wheels on her.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Based on what you've said:

For getting rid of the 1299
    You don't ride the 1299 & its uncomfortable so thats not likely to change.
    You don't admire it that much or it would be in the lounge.
    Its slowly losing you money.
    The 1299 sale will lead to you riding more on a V4 Multi which you will really like.

For keeping the 1299
    You might ride it twice this year.
    You may decide to look at it more.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sounds like a perfectly focused Superbike without the costs of the bigger models. If you love the way it makes you feel when you ride it, and it puts a smile on your face then I’d keep it:cool: The only thing I would say is try and make time to get out. I know that’s pretty hard at the moment but I’m sure things will change shortly. If you don’t make the time and take every opportunity to use it then it just becomes an expensive ornament. I’ve so many mates that have been in similar situations. Some literally only doing 500/1000 miles a year:eek: You literally have the best of both worlds with the 2 you have:upyeah: I’m also fortunate enough to have 2 bikes, and it’s so easy to grab the comfortable no hustle option! I’ve made more effort over the last few years to literally just get on it and ride..... It’s so easy to fall out of love with something your not using! .... use it and enjoy it!....

ps.... just wanted to add, the more Seat time you can get on the Pani the more you should find your body becoming more comfortable! ..... less miles =aches and pains for older dudes I’m afraid. But by doing more miles you should condition your body for longer sessions. I’ve also been a big fan in stretching before and after rides, around 30/40 mins either side Helps a lot .....

#10 Dave dunlop, Feb 19, 2021
  11. Take it for a ride. If you still feel like selling when you get home, sell it. If not, keep it. :upyeah:

12. I'd keep it but work on ways to make it more comfortable to ride. Maybe some unobtrusive bar-risers and slightly lower footpegs? If you can make it comfy for 100 miles instead of 40 you're laughing as most sunny day blasts (what this bike is used for from the sound of it) are in the 100 to 200 mile range (ride to a nice pub 100 miles away, have nice pint and a lunch, ride home again! Sounds perfect to me! )

13. Take it on a track and explore it’s real potential, if it still doesn’t put a smile on your face then maybe it’s time to sell.

14. I love the 1299 I think they are beautiful to stare at and like you I'm lucky I have another choice should I need it but I love having a superbike to remind me I'm not too old to enjoy one occasionally sometimes sensible is not the best choice :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks all for the advice. Much to ponder!

16. ive got a 1299 2015 - base with ttx, bst, all Gilles controls, Akra, plus loads more, 1k mls not rode fore 3 yrs plus a 2010 blinged monster s with 800mls... 2 Africa twins and a GS, Im not rich, worked hard for all of em so can't bare to part , sometimes I just rip the covers off have a quick look, does it for me then cover them up again, some people collect watches

#16 skid06, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  17. Good comment, sure a lot of people will relate to that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Shame you’re Ireland or I’d be saying sell it but do a deal with me on the forks and damper first ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. I'm riding my 1199s 12,000 miles around the USA in April 2022 (if Covid Foxtrot Oscars)...

You can probably guess my response... Get out on the Pani more!

Get the comfort seat, fit some grip puppies, lower the rear-sets a tad and it's plenty comfy.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information