1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show Me Your 916/996 Etc Strapped To A Trailer

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Oldrat, Jul 4, 2018.

1. I’ll need to put my (new to me) 996R on a motolug trailer when I collect it in a week or so’s time.

I usually strap bikes at the front from each fork stanchion and at the rear at the top of each shock.

The 996 isn’t built that way, ie fully enclosed fairing and single shock.

242792F2-3351-4185-BF35-47686E0ACFCA.jpeg

Well, show me how you secure yours on a trailer please :upyeah:

2. Use a grips strap, then it comes from the end of the bars and less likely to rub fairings. Tape old t shits or something on straps where may rub. I would also take a strap off the frame or rearset down both sides, or worst case a strap across the seat.

HTH

#2 bradders, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Where are you based? I have the straps you can borrow if needed and close enough

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thank you for the kind offer :upyeah:
    I already use extension straps to loop around frame or fork parts. I suspect that I may have to buy some bar straps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 41m-t4ZGnuL._SX355_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. That’s really useful, thanks

Keep the pics coming folks

7. I drove 385 km to a dealer with a trade in bike on a trailer, but ended up driving my “new” 900SSie all 385 km back, because the straps had scraped a little on the trade bike and I didn’t feel secure I could strap it to the trailer without some scratches and marks.

#7 SalkinSupersport, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ratty,,maybe one of these for belt and braces:thinkingface: maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ratty,Just make sure the straps are not in contact with the plastic fairing as they will mark it,a soft cloth around the strap to help if required:upyeah:

10. 20171021_121629.jpg use one of the R&G jobbies, As safe as it gets, A couple at rear also 20171021_121629.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  11. Jack, that is really useful, thank you. :upyeah:
    A couple of points-

1. the anchor points for my straps is not forward of the wheels as yours is, but midway along the trailer so the strap would be angled backwards from the bars. Do you think that the R&G hobbies would still be effective and not slide off??

2. I notice that you use cable ties to stop the hooks ‘jumping’ (?) off. For what it’s worth, I now use screw carabiners on the straps to prevent that happening
    Hope that is useful :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
  12. The above straps are perfect

1. yes they will work fine. They can go forward, sideways or backwards, all works
    2. I prefer the simple ratchet and strap ones, not hooks, as its not as secure on this IME

Been trying to find some photos but failed lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nice van. T6?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hi mate,
    when you tension the straps it pulls the hoops on the bars together so doubt it would come of, Maybe someone can confirm thats tried this to be safe???
    Regarding the cable ties, I learnt the hard way :eek: I had 2 motocross bikes strapped to my old trailer and was late for a race meeting and was nipping on down a dirt track, Bit bumpy and the hooks jumped of when the suspension compressed on the bike, She was quickly lying on her side thankfully still on trailer with around 30 folk standing watching lol, Bit of a red face lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks o everyone who replied.
    I’ll place an order with Fleabay for the R&Gs
    :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I haver a motolug trailer and I carry my 1098 on it. I use the R&G straps from the handle bars to the centre anchor point and normal ratchet straps from the sub frame to the centre anchor points.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sorry mind working over time:blush::A new thread title "Show me your wife strapped to a trailer:D".

18. That will teach you to skim :D

As well as old rags, I've some times used the plumbing pipe insulation grey tubes. Dead cheap

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information