1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Side Stand Fix.

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by 900streetfighter, Jun 13, 2018.

• Like Like x 4
  1. The link doesn't work and searching revealed nada. Can you describe what he does with them?

2. I fixed my lean angle by taking the stand apart and fitting a piece of steel 20mm long 10mm wide and 3-4mm thick to the stand so it now stops steel-steel Instead of steel-aluminium as the aluminium wears away causing it to lean further if that makes sense

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks, I think so. I'll get it on the abbastand so I can have a proper look.

4. I have just extended my side-stand 1/2" or so with epoxy marine filler. Being grey, it is a very good tonal match for the aluminium and blends in nicely. I know someone mentioned hating the club-foot look but I prefer to think of it as a platform high-heel look... ;)

I did try a piece of chopping board but it's polyethylene and that stuff doesn't glue well.

So far, so good - will report back how well it lasts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I tapped the stand for M5 countersunk screws and made an extension off an old Ikea cutting board.

20180223_154250.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Nice

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Hi. That’s exactly what I was looking at doing. Can you tell me how you fixed the steel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I drilled a counter sunk self tapping screw (dry lining screw) straight through the steel and into the stand and counter sunk the head into the steel

9. Ah ok thanks. That will work. Im toying with the metal weld stuff. I’ve never used it but I believe it’s quite strong. I’d you were to do it again would you use the same thickness of steel. Does this give you a “normal bike” lean now?

10. If I was to do it again. I’d do exactly the same as it’s now got a perfect lean with steel touching steel

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. If I was to do it again. I’d do exactly the same as it’s now got a perfect lean with steel touching steel

• Like Like x 1
  12. Any chance of a pic of the repair?

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. I’ll try taking a few at the weekend

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi Danny the would be great, mines just starting to lean a bit far, my street triple did the same but I didn't have that long enough for it to bother me

15. Here you go as promised hope you can work it out from the pics

94CA249D-ED1D-4262-9FB1-64275A1BED6C.jpeg

C37BBA7C-1061-46A7-8A02-BB1FD200E690.jpeg

16. thanks for the photos it's appriciated, it looks like inside the fork of the top of the stand you have added metal is that right?

#17 xander296, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  17. Yes that’s right. Gives a perfect lean now

18. Nice one Danny. That’s really clear. I’m going to do the same. Going to try using metal weld instead of the screw. Really appreciate the piccys

19. Less clear to me I'm afraid
    Maybe you could do a diagram Alastair??

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information