1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Sidi Adventure Boots Scratch Paintwork On Engine Casing

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Arthur Two Sheds, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Hey everyone,

I've recently been riding my Multistrada Enduro with my Sidi Adventure 2 boots and have found to my horror that boots are/have damaged the paint on the engine casing! The inside right boot has a plastic ankle procetor of which has rubbed on the casing and has now scratched the paint work down to bare metal (see attached images) and was hoping the forum had any suggestions on how to get this problem fixed. Needless to say I wont be using the boots again until I can get this problem sorted. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Neill IMG_1311.jpg IMG_1312.jpg

2. I've done exactly the same (Sidi Adventure 1 boots) on my non-enduro DVT S.
    I have tried to find a suitable cover to cover it up but have had no luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I did that to mine too but on the metal subframe part and not the engine casing. R&G makes a kit that covers it and I have it on order. They also have one for the engine case for you. EDIT: Just saw the post above mine has a link for you.

4. I've used 3M helicopter tape on my other bike & had the same damage with race-approved TCX boots. So I only use daytona goretex boots with the multi. The trouble is that the engine can get extremely hot & without researching 3M helicopter tape I'm fairly sure it hasn't got a high temperature rating.

Quick sanding of the area & buy some heat proof grey spray, apply when semi-hot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Does anyone know of a suitable touch up paint?

edit - On the DVT S it's that magnesium/gold colour. I've had a look but can't be sure I've found something that is meant to match.

6. Unless I can get a colour match I may try and use a clear heat resistant lacquer to cover the worn area and then add the R&G engine casing but its dog ugly and don't like it that much. I'll keep looking for alternatives but thanks for the responses so far:upyeah:;)

7. Same happened to me with Motorrad boots. So I had the R&G clutch cover carbon dipped ar A1Hydro in Whitney and then added some carbon patches to protect the carbon effect. Advantage is that the R&G cover doesn't get so hot.

IMG_0640.PNG

IMG_0639.PNG

#8 SteveE, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  8. WOW - That looks so much better and I’m gonna have to investigate this method further. Thanks for the idea

• Like Like x 1
  9. Can you then put helicopter tape over the carbon patches to protect them :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Just in case you're not taking the p***s .....You might as well just put clear helicopter directly on to the carbon dipped cover as there's less heat impact than when it's put directly on to the clutch cover and so a) it should stay on and b) should hide the marked clutch cover that was the original problem that was raised. I just like the carbon patches better

#11 SteveE, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Same for me. I bought some carbon fibre sticker material and covered it. Replaced it since.

12. I fitted the R&G cover - not nice but does protect the case - I spotted mine was becoming polished. Boots also rub on the frame on each side, here I have fitted a piece of rubber. Oh and tie wrapped the footrest rubbers in place - I managed to knock one out with my boot...

• Like Like x 1
  13. For info - i put helicopter tape on that part of my engine (dvt) when it was new. after 2 years, the tape is still there protecting the paint. it has no problems with that temperature.

14. I had helicopter tape on my 15 for 2 years no issue but it will not stay on on my 17 plate the casting is rougher and it’s gone after 1 ride

I have done it 4 times - now given up.

15. Makes you wonder what the test jockey's wear when they ride out from the factory.Flip flops or Espadrilles?

• Like Like x 1
  16. idea

I’ve borrowed your idea and gone the same route with carbon dipping for the R&G engine case cover. I’m still wanting to get the engine case paintwork touched up but haven’t been able to get to a auto paint repair to get the correct paint made up. However, for the time being this OK.

As for the Sidi boots I’m going to stick a rubber patch from a puncture repair kit to the plastic protector that caused the initial problem.

If anyone has any thoughts on where I can get paint mixed would be greatly appreciated.

8511D448-FEB0-4FDF-94DA-D0E4164E1BB4.jpeg

5581A8F4-12F9-47F6-A943-914E70215C1A.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I know the suggestion is a repaint but i wonder if someone like dentmaster who do small repairs and repaint at a small cost would be an option?

also just an out there thought with no knowledge, on the fuggly we have a open clutch basket , would it be possible to get longer screws for the original enduro casing, then between casing an basket, a small spacer. This would see the original casings left untouched and the basket protecting it, if that makes sense?

#18 noobie, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  18. I have received further information from Ducati UK with regards to the engine paint for code the Ducati 1200 Multi Enduro. They emailed Ducati directly in Bologna and this was their reply:

"MTS Enduro CL cover paint code
    BOND PE/HD FTX 1306 Anod DUC paint code 37344, (Inver)."

Doesn't mean much to my eyes so have asked for further clarification from Ducati UK. Anyone from the forum able to shed any light on this?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information