1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silencer Respray

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DanSS600, Sep 16, 2021.

1. My silencer was looking a bit tatty and had some scrapes so I resprayed it with RAL 9006 in an 2k aerosol and the results look good. I didn't drill out the rivets and separate the parts of the silencer - I masked off the end pieces with tape. This is 30% gloss and I used a white primer.

Before I started I made a cradle that allows the silencer to be rotated along its length, this makes spraying the paint easier than having it hung vertically and makes sagging less of a problem. Cradle.JPG DSC_0169.JPG DSC_0170.JPG

#1 DanSS600, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. That looks cracking!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Looks good, post up a photo when you’ve got them back on the bike.

4. I'm going to leave it over the weekend to fully cure then refit so I'll post a pic when it's done.

• Like Like x 4
  5. very nice, good work. (excuse me I know nothing of paint, presumably heat is not a problem?)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I wouldn't use the same paint for the headers but l think it will be OK for the silencer. I used a paint that hardens chemically not solely through evaporation of solvent so I think it will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Here you go.
    DSC_0172.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I used B&M stove paint on my Lad's CBF125F exhaust after a quick sand and buff, came up reet nice. Total cost about £2.50! Not quite the same standard of machine but it can be done....

9. Wow....OK so I'm living in the past, but I never knew 2-pack aerosol cans were a thing! Very, very, useful link to riolett's. Thanks for the info. And nice job, too :upyeah:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. They seem to have got the 2 pack system to a point where they don't need the toxic chemicals anymore so the aerosol becomes a viable option.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. My original silencers are also a little bit scuffed looking so I will give this a go at some point. I might never use them again but it is nice to keep all the original parts with a bike, especially when it has achieved "classic" status.

12. it is a step forward, you can use 2 pack on a fuel tank now and although you wouldn't want to leave it soaked, you can get away with fuel spills on fill-up unlike ordinary aerosols - or even the automotive store single-content brands that claim to be unaffected by petrol.

13. I would be a bit cautious about not using a suitable mask...normally you would need a type AXP3 filter minimum for 2 pack that uses isocyanate as the hardener. I've emailed the manufacturer to see if there's a safety data sheet that should provide guidance. Don't know what the hardener is in these aerosols, but it never hurts to ask...

14. Their website highly recommends the use of appropriate PPE.

15. That's a top notch job you have done there !

I have exactly the same silencers , and after 20 years , mine have picked up a few battle scars .
    My painting skills are pretty much zero .... but your work has inspired me to have a go ....:)

Thanks for posting :upyeah:

16. I'm glad you found it useful.:)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information