1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single Seat : Grp Or Glass Fibre?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wonky donkey, Dec 21, 2014.

1. So I was thinking I might treat myself to a single seat unit on my 750 rebuild. Love the look of them and never carry a passenger these days, so...;)

I've read a few threads on here about brackets and availability of seat pads etc. Obviously I can't justify the cost but it's Christmas right...!?

Pretty unlikely I'll come across an oem superlight unit, so what's the collective preference: GRP or fibre glass unit?

Mick..

2. I replaced the original single seat on my SL with a similar GRP one from Ricambi Weiss, to preserve the original (expensive!), and so I could modify it to allow ready access to the space in the hump (oversuit, sandwiches, etc). Ricambi's unit is light, well made and fits, and has been completely satisfactory - only slight downside was having to fab and position brackets, as per the other recent thread.
    BTW, GRP and fibreglass are the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. There is a set of genuine Ducati Seat pads on ebay at the moment, bit pricey though
    A good job with a rattle can, a decal set and using race foam for the seat would do the trick for not too much ;)

Ive got a single seat which needs some prep, I'll get it painted when I get the next full set of bodywork done. Oh, and when I find a tatty 900SS to put it all on :upyeah:

4. Maybe that's the wrong term - I was thinking of the plastic stuff oem bodywork's made of. I saw one somewhere on't web. Defo not oem, but not the usual aftermarket fibreglass. Obviously can't find it now...

That said, i've used ricambi stuff before and I agree. It's good stuff.

Mick..

5. Ah, understood.
    Personally I'd prefer fibreglass - easier to modify/repair.
    Experience of Ricambi has been varied - seat unit fitted a treat, but got a racing (no headlight aperture) nosepiece, as a basis for a twin headlight conversion, and it didn't fit anywhere. Ended up taking a cast off the original.

6. @JohnB - yes, I might do the race foam thing, though it never looks as good imo. I had thought to have the original seat and panels too (got em anyway) so I have the option. If I do that, then race foam is probably the right way to go..

Mick..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wonky,

Would like to do this myself but finding the brackets & seat pads a bit expensive. I did find the following place on ebay, they seem to do a full set including the seat and then just the front fairing. The difference being the seat which works out at £200 ish which seems a bit steep, I have not phoned them so can't really confirm this.

Ducati 900SS race fairing and seat set 94 - 97 | eBay

I would give the painting a go myself, but would not want to spend all my effort on a seat unit that was not very good and cracked after a while. I have see some dimensions of a seat bracket (83011261A) on here but the dimensions were a bit hard to follow. If anyone has an original bracket I could measure up (around Rotherham / Sheff / Worksop / Doncaster area - no I won't knick it) or wants to make a drg with loads of dimensions on I could model it up and get a .dxf file for the profile if someone knows a cheap profiler. The bending does not look too difficult. If I can help with any profiles for anyone I will.

Cheers Gaz

8. I'm in your area (Doncaster) - can provide bracket for measuring up, or provide just dimensions if you prefer.

9. Wonkey, GRP is glass reinforced plastic aka glass fibre/fibreglass.

The brackets on the original SL seats were never too clever to start with, especially at the back.

The front uses rubber feet to sit on the tank, the same as on the fuel tank in fact and bolted to the underside through into the seat carcass.

The rears relied on a bracket poorly laminated into the seat to accept a second bracket which held the rubber.

The original seats were also around 3-4mm thick, so hefty old beasties. They were fibreglass not injection moulded plastic.

For the seat you could use the thick neoprene as has been said or alternatively make seat base, cover and upholster yourself, easy with a bit of patience.

10. Also have the Ricambi Weiss fiches been checked for part availability?

11. Cheers @Sev

I've sourced some of the brackets, as it happens. They're on their way. I had thought the front pair rested on the frame rails not the tank (bolted through the seat as you say)?

Not decided what do for the seat itself yet.

Ricambi have them available as do HC Racetech.

Mick..

12. They do mick, but they use the same rubbers as the tank.

So your forward brackets have the rubbers bolted to them, and they in turn bolt through the holes in the seat unit and into the seat itself.

13. I've gone with a Supermono, seat base will be independent of the tail unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ricambi Weiss stuff is good and reasonably priced the std brackets and seat pads are still available from ducati, brackets work out at around £65 the seat pads at about £140. The pads are the later deep ones not the early ones. Do not buy a seat from disco volante as it will not fit being far too narrow to go over the frame rails. Genuine seats occasionally come up I sold one last year but go for strong money. You can get a carbon seat from mdina italia but they aren't cheap circa £375. There are cheaper ducati dealers than mdina for the seat pads and Brkts as I found out to my cost.

15. Cheers Baldy. Yeah, used ricambi stuff before and not been disappointed. I'll order one today (missus gave me some cash for crimbo, so...:upyeah:).

I saw your thread about the brackets (think it was yours mate), and took care not to get shafted there. Got mine from motorapido at pretty much the price you said (needed a few other bits - seals and such - too).

Mick..

16. great stuff Baldy, and this means that it should all still be available from any ducati outlet as its current stock.

The thin seat pads have been out of production for years.

17. seat brkt 1A.jpg All,

I've done this if anyone wants to make their own. Hejira858 had an original bracket so thanks for that. Sorry can't help with back brackets at the moment.

Image is just a JPEG. If you want the Autocad or .dxf file PM me

If there is anyone out there that can profile me a few to check for a couple of sheckles or better still free (well Iam from Yorkshire) it would be appreciated or if you want the file and produce them yourself go for it, drawing and dimension supplied in good faith and not tested so don't sue my ass if something f@@ks up.

Cheers Gaz

18. Do you have a link for the Modena Italia carbon fibre one? Can't find it

Do Not Sell My Personal Information