1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Skyhook Id

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Greenbadge, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Hi all
    Test rode a new multistrada DVT a couple of weeks ago at snells, was impressed with the skyhook suspension it was like the bike was on rails.
    Here comes the 'But' tooooo much money new...
    So let's look into the used market, test ride a pikes peak 2014 oh dear not the same bike at all. The dealer advertised it as a 1200S which I assumed all 1200S models after 2013 were equipped with skyhook.
    When returned from the test ride explained to the dealer that the pikes peak was half the motorcycle that I had previously tested and questioned that if this machine was equipped with skyhook then I would suggest that it's not working.
    At this comment the dealer went into Limp Mode and I had to make a quick exit saying that I needed to take the governor shopping.
    So as I'm now a convert to skyhook and also love the 'Pikes Peak' look and sound can I get
    The full package, i.e. Pikes peak with skyhook ?
    I'm led to believe that all 1200S models are equipped with skyhook.
    But are there any physical traits of the skyhook tech that you can see ?
    There was a very real difference between the two test rides and the 'new' demonstrator was by far a superior machine handeling wise, but the DVT engine was no to different from the
    Testerreta twin spark.
    All comments welcome...

2. Easy... skyhook forks are grey and have a wire coming out of the left top. The right is the preload (no wire). The older electronic Ohlins are gold with wires coming out of each fork leg top.
    The non electronic have adjusters at the top and bottom of each leg.

3. Also I've a Pikes Peak 2013 plate, as new for sale at London Heathrow.

4. Thanks for your reply Air Con, should I assume that the PP i tested was skyhook equipped but was faulty or not set up correctly ' in wrong mode '
    As suggested by Del Boy the dealer ?
    Aren't all forks equipped with wires on left fork leg, for active suspension different rider modes but not necessarily skyhook.

5. 2013 and 2014 Multistrada 1200s Pikes Peak had the Sachs "Skyhook" electronic suspension. No PP in 2015 and the PP relaunch in 2016 reverted to manual Ohlins suspension. There is a very good PP vinyl kit available that at least 1 forum member has used and posted pictures of so you have a choice. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Regardless of Skyhook the preload MUST be set on the right hand leg with a spanner. The 2010 to 2012 electronic Ohlins needed preload adjusted into both legs... if my memory serves me correctly... way too many top shelf drugs since.

7. So guys can I assume that any multi advertised as 1200S after 2013 will be skyhook equipped and the one I test rode was faulty....

8. If the DES (Skyhook) was faulty, there would have been an error message on the dash. If there was no message the likelyhood is that the variable parameters had been adjusted to suit someone with a different expectation from the electronics. That or it had been fiddled with by someone who didn't have a clue. And to answer your other question, it is my understanding that the 's' model has electronic suspension. 'Touring' adds things like a centre stand, heated grips and luggage. Andy

9. Yes unless it is old stock.
    Any interest in my perfect example.... I mean perfect and not tampered with apart from a new battery.

10. Someone may have totally backed off the electronic preload on the back and the manual preload on the front or more likely wound it right up.
    Was it too hard or too soft?

11. didnt notice any errors on dash but under severe braking into a right handed the front was trying to tuck under, under heavy and I mean heavy from 120 to 30 the front was diving like a rabbit down a hole. The demo bike was given the same treatment and was rock solid on all counts.

12. According to the Ducati website model archive, the 's' has always referred to electronic compression and damping with manual preload on the forks and all electronic on the rear shock, whether it was Ohlins or Sachs. Andy

13. Forks were diving under hard braking and didn't wasn't as stable as demo bike . Could it be so badly out of set up so as to make that much difference as I understand it's not able to turn off

14. Thanks for your help Andy, but aren't all multistrada equipped with electronic suspension i.e. X4 different rider modes adjustable electroniacally via switching modes. But skyhook is x4 selectable modes constantly updated as you ride i.e.

15. No, all versions of the Multistrada 1200 have 4 engine modes, only the 's' gives you electronic suspension that adjusts for rider/rider+passenger/ rider+ luggage/rider+passenger+luggage. Andy

16. Sorry I meant manual Sachs. I forgot that they make the DSS skyhook system.

17. It could be that the preload was totally backed off. DSS normally shows any faults.

18. What's the spec on your PP

19. So therefore any 1200S reg 2013 or newer will have active suspension - DSS
    And the only way to ensure the suspension is active is to ride and ride hard and try hitting a few scars on the tarmac as I did in the previous rides.
    At least I can now expect skyhook on 'S' models.

20. Yes but not all have active DSS.
    All are equipped with sport mode / tour mode / urban mode / off road mode
    all have standard preset suspension for each mode and throttle / power delivery to match. Only DSS 'skyhook' offers the constant suspension correction as you ride.
    And the PP i rode was an'S' but the ride on the suspension was certainly not active as the new Demo model was.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information