1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Skyhook Or Ohlins?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Ducati Dave, Aug 7, 2017.

1. My 2013 1200s Skyhook is coming up for 20,000 mile so its time for a trip to the dealers with a wad of cash.

I like the Skyhook suspension - except when it failed two months out of warranty (Ducati supplied the £2,100 parts FOC and Snell in Alton fitted them for £200, easing the pain) - but I am very tempted by an Ohlins-equipped Pikes Peak. Does anyone have any views I might find useful?

2. My 2013 1200s Skyhook is coming up for 20,000 mile so its time for a trip to the dealers with a wad of cash.

I like the Skyhook suspension - except when it failed two months out of warranty (Ducati supplied the £2,100 parts FOC and Snell in Alton fitted them for £200, easing the pain) - but I am very tempted by an Ohlins-equipped Pikes Peak. Does anyone have any views I might find useful?

3. Threads merged

4. If you only ever ride 1 up, never load the bike with luggage or ride over rough terrain, a non active suspension set for you can be very good and Ohlins make very good suspension. However if you ride 2 up, tour with luggage or go off road, there is no substitute for active suspension. Andy

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I had the 1200 none skyhook on loan & we do a lot of winding road trips usually over the yorkshire moors. My 1200s skyhook is so easy on these roads by just switching modes. The 1200 was a pain in the ass. Bucking like a bronko. But not tried a Ohlins pikes peak. That was the bike i went to buy from dealers but when i found out they no longer do active suspension on it i opted for the 1200s touring.

6. One of the reasons I hang on to my 2010 S is that it's got the Ohlins with the semi-active upgrade - it's not as sophisticated a system as the Sachs Skyhook, but it's got better feel than any Skyhook bike I've tried.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. I would go with the Ohlins

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. While I like the Pikes peak, its the cost I have an issue with. Its now 20k which is a shit load for a Multi, and while that is "only" £3.5K more than the "S" (The "only" was dealer speak !!), it's some £7k more than a boggo model, and I just can't get my head round that ?? If money was no issue, then I'd probably choose the PP, cause the suspension is very good, but then so is the skyhook ? But throw in the extra 3500 quid and then I'd have skyhook every time.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I have the basic DVT spent £100 having the suspension set up properly and it's superb previously had Skyhook suspension in my opinion it's overly complicated and expensive especially if it goes wrong
    You pays your money you make your choice

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Looking at the last 5 or 6 answers here, everyone has there own & all valid opinions. I heard somewhere that you can by an electronic add on for the Ohlins rear shock. Not sure though.

11. I'm looking at getting exactly this done on my DVT, whereabouts did you get the suspension setup done? I'm in Newcastle so if anyone else has a suggestion on where to go then it would be appreciated.

12. You can, and those who have love it and many prefer to the skyhook. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. What did you have done to the suspension? £100 sounds cheap

14. Just
    Just a set up using spanners and screwdrivers, usually between 50 to 100 quid.

15. Just set up properly using the adjustment Ducati built into the bike as Ducati Dave says just spammers and screwdriver and 2hrs labour by someone who knew what to do

16. I think its Ducati Dave who wants to know "T" :upyeah:

17. I stumbled across this post as was bored at work. Never usually reply to forums threads but this issue was one I found when upgrading from 2014 skyhook touring to a dvt pikes peak.

I bought the pikes peak thinking it had skyhook like the original and when the dealer told me as I rode out the car park I thought I had made a huge mistake. However...

I had the suspension professionally setup for me and I have to say the ohlins are the best suspension I have ever had on any bike. My dvt handles like a dream and would not have it any other way now. Those gold forks!

Anyway as the man says unless you ride with luggage or two up there is no point to skyhook. I never changed modes when I had it on old multi.

At the end of the day when you have the pikes peak paint job, gold ohlins and lovely carbon then the skyhook is a distant memory.

:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Utter tosh !! No point to skyhook ?? Yes you're so right mate, companies like Ducati and BMW etc spent millions and millions on a system that has no point. I change modes all the time, I admit, only between 2 but I use sport and touring regularly. I have had bikes with Ohlins including an R1 with proper road and track Ohlins, not the cheapo ones they put on the PP, and I will admit they are good, but to suggest Semi active suspension has no point either means you cant ride a bike very well, or you're purely trying to illicit a response from those not daft enough to hand over 20k for a fancy paint job !! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. How'd the worm taste? ;)

Some love the std set up, when they have it set up properly. Doesn't make them bad people ....

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. I agree mate, and I'm in no way giving Ohlins or base model Multi springs a hard time, am merely pointing out that when someone makes a generic statement like above, its utter tosh !!:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information