1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyhook Suspension.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by garyl, May 3, 2018.

1. Hi.Im back again to try and get some help with a suspension problem. I have a 2013 skyhook multistrada and the suspension seems to have gone very hard. I have had the suspension set up for me in sport mode and I expected it to be a bit stiffer but it doesn't matter which mode I put it in it seems to be just the same. It doesn't absorb any of the bumps in the road and at times it feels like I am riding over a giant cattle grid which makes it very difficult and uncomfortable to ride. I used to have PR4s on it and now have Dunlop streetsmart3s but it has happened so gradually I don't remember which tyres I was running when I realised the change. When I first got it the suspension felt like everybody said it would. Smooth and forgiving. Now I would say it is bordering on dangerous. Sorry the question is long winded and sounds like a letter to an agony aunt but it is difficult to put my finger on the exact problem. Any help and advice would be appreciated . Cheers Gary.

2. Any fault codes? Sounds like its defaulted to 'failure' setting whereby if the unit has failed it means you can still get home

3. With Skyhook, when the bike is switched off the suspension is hard. It goes soft when the bike is on. So if it remains hard, this is an electrical fault - maybe a loose wire somewhere? A dealer should be able to fix that quickly.

4. Hi Bradders. There are no warnings on the dash but I haven't had it plugged in to a code reader. I didn't know there was such a thing as a failure setting. I forgot to say that when the bike is running and standing still when I pull the front brake and push down on the bars they seem to be reacting normally its only when I am riding it the problem seems to happen.

5. As Pete says, on ignition on is it different to ignition off? Could it be a setting has been changed and firmed everything up? I remember one of the guys from here reduced his preload to allow a bit more sag, and soften the suspension, but the SH likes to work within a range and firmed to up and made it an harsher ride. He replace the spring and it sorted it. Maybe you have the reverse? Has whoever set top the nbike made all teh does the same?

I think I would:
    1) check if its different ignition on vs off
    2) write down the settings in every mode then reset all to default
    3) try and if its wrong take it in somewhere or get a diagnostics run on it

6. With the engine running it seems to have plenty travel both at the front and rear. A local lad who is a privateer and races at the TT set up the suspension for me. I asked him to only set it up in sport mode as I was still messing around with touring mode and trying to get a comfortable touring setting. Apart from sport mode I have set the rest back to default and still every setting is too firm. I thought maybe that it was a common problem (as there are so many quirks) with these bikes. I almost convinced myself that I was imagining it but sadly not. My first port of call will be as you have suggested and get a diagnostic assessment on it. thanks as always to both of you for your help. Gary

7. thanks aero. a lot of reading there. just starting to plough through it. Cheers Gary.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information