1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sl Brake Disks

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Mr-Superlight, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Needing to replace the front disks on my SL - the 'floating' aspect has deteriorated to a significant rattle - they're worn out. Option is to replace with Brembo Serie Or - any advice as to y/n? Think they're black carriers as opposed to gold so I wonder if they're need repainted.

2. get the brembo hpk...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. As above, the Brembo HPK are the best. Serie Or are very good though. One thing that does come to mind if you dont mind me saying is are you sure they need replacing? Rattling is a normal thing, usually just needs replacing when they get worn down below ~4.5mm or whatever the figure is?

4. I've not yet measured the rotors but I can see wear where the bobbin sits in the disk and the rotor can move in every direction which I don't think is right. I'd be surprised if the disk thickness is too low but my understanding is that as the bobbin material is harder than the disk material then premature wear occurs.

5. Another thing is that many garages have no clue about these type of disks and have, for years, queried the rattlecas indicative of excessive wear. Fortunately I've got a newish guy fairly close to me- North Motorcycles on Edinburgh do I'll get his opinion (was him that suggested using the existing disks for ornamental purposes only now and replacing with Brembos as cost effective).

6. Is that the guy down Leith way? I've not heard much about him, only been trading a short time. What I have heard is good. Liam Venter did new floating disc carriers for a while but I'm not sure where you would get the outer.

7. its normally the alloy carriers that wear....

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. They wear over time but it's completely normal for them to rattle and move around slightly, thats the whole point of them so the pads get a good hold on them. I find it really hard to believe an SL has been been rode hard enough to wear a set of disc carrier bobbins? My 1199S had three years and 10,000 miles of heavy use , 5000 on track, and whilst the discs were starting to get thin they were perfectly useable still. My R has 4500 miles of heavy breaking on Z04 race pads and the discs are fine.

9. PFM discs....outer is removable making replacement much cheaper (90 quid per side i think) got a set on my RSV4 and very very pleased...ill be buying more for the hyper and my z1000 also.

Initial outlay is expensive 500 for a pair, but there after nice and cheap....

10. its an older SL not the 1199 version...:);)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ah ha... I was wondering too... :laughing:

12. Mine on my Superlight rattle too. It's correct and to be embraced, it's a lovely jingle and sets the SL apart from the other bikes. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. im not a detective as you know...but it was posted in the super sport section.:):):)o_O:innocent:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tyler is the owner of North - really good guy, seems very knowledgeable. Think I'll pop in with the wheel and get his take on it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aaah I wondered what was going on! I'll wind my neck in :)

16. tat versus quality...in my humble opinion of course

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I am running these at the moment and been really pleased with the brake power with them. Have not tracked the bike so not sure how they would handle repeated hard use. They are better than the worn out originals thats for sure!! If road is your main use then in my opinion they will be fine!!

18. Appreciate people's opinions ...
    Took the front wheel to Tyler at North Motorcycles, leith today. In his opinion there is de e wear but not significant and perfectly usable. He eventemoved one if the buttons and checked it and the rotor plus carrier for rear- tiny bit on button and carrier but minimal really.
    One suggestion was to source alternative washers that have a 'spring' characteristic to eliminate a little of the rattle- not sure where I might get these?

19. The new floating discs from brembo are a lot tighter on the float that the cast iron ones on your SL. They used to rattle like a good'un out of the factory with upwards of 1mm of float. On the latest stuff the float is around .25 to .5 of a mm.

Yours are fine. The spring washers you talk of turn the disc into a semi floating rather than a true floating disc, which only had circlip and washer.

I loved the rattleiness of mine, it was all part of the drama of the full flaoting disc as far as I was concerned.

If you're going to replace them, please replace with Brembo. You can ask for HPK discs with a gold carrier, and you may actually find the discs for your application have gold carriers as is period correct.

Brembo 208.9737.10 64mm bore, 80mm pcd 6 hole M8. if I remember correctly with a 7.5mm offset to centreline of disc. (often referred to as a 10mm offset to outboard disc face)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information