1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slacker Sag Tool Questions.

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by comfysofa, Sep 4, 2019.

1. So, it was payday, and i took the plunge....anything that takes measurements when theres just one of you is the perfect tool for me....turned up last week. Nipped into the garage to have a quick initial mess around....all works fine. But, my pea sized intelect is still struggling with rider sag.....

I was looking around and found this link...

https://amcn.com.au/editorial/step-step-guide-setting-sag/

Now, they go on about measurements F1, F2 and F3 but with the Slacker (this is the way i see it) you pull the front forks off the ground and zero the slacker so youve technically done away with one of the measurements so, im lost again....weather ive worked it out or not, or still not got the concept the slacker is a great tool for someone working on their own....ie . - me.!

Apologies and thanks to all the personage thats putting up with my barrage of stupid (and probably repeated questions

Id just like to add that pretty well in all walks of life im the most difficult person in the world to teach....!

And adding again....am i right in it working this way:

1. Pull the front wheel off the ground and zero the slacker.
    2. Let the bike sit down - take the measurement.
    3. Sit of the bike - take the first one away from this one...?

#1 comfysofa, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  2. If you pull the forks up to their maximum before the front wheel begins to lift and zero the Slacker, then regard that as the base line.
    Let the forks settle under their own weight and that's the static sag measurement.
    Sit on the bike, with both feet off the ground and the reading that is then displayed is total sag.
    Subtract the static sag figure from the total sag figure and that's your rider sag figure.

At least that's my understanding.

However, if you're on your own I'm not sure how you can lift the bike at the front AND then zero the Slacker.

3. If you have a front stand that goes under the headstock, the front is fairly easy to do

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ive not had a problem pulling the front up...just jam my foot against the stand - pull up the forks and then zero the slacker from the handlebar part with my thumb...

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Ah - right so it just removes the need for an extra measurement.....

6. So, moving on....i think the zed has very hard springs and i say springs but i think its spring...from recollection when i changed the oil....as theyre BPF forks...i only had about a half hour to mess around and no matter what i couldnt get the sag (assuming way of measuring is right) - i couldnt get beyond 12mm of sag (i think id have to go out and check again though) - assuming thats true does it need a softer spring??

I seem to remember MH Racing guy last year while i was there with my RSV4 saying that the gen 4 zed had a notoriously hard spring....but again, i might be wrong...

7. Isn’t the zee the best handling bike you’ve ever had? maybe leave that one alone ;)

8. Well - i thought id have a go and ive got the original settings so i thought what the hell...! and yeah it handles well, but as ive said before ive got no point of reference so i might be able to get it better..

9. So, after messing around with the suspension on the zed last night on the way home i came across a closed road that looked exactly like a dual carriageway....anyway at considerably high speed i seem to have eradicated a vibrating front wheel (which i thought was down to the front wheel not being balanced) - gonna fiddle some more on the weekend....the more i mess around with it the more im kinda getting a "feel" pardon the pun for what to set...aint gonna learn any other way!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Watch this Dave moss using the slacker tool

• Like Like x 1
  11. ^I was just about to post this link.:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information