1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Slight Power Change

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by dazthephot, Jul 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Guys you might have to bear with me a bit here cos it's more of a feeling than a real fault unless you can tell me otherwise. The power delivery and throttle feel seem to have changed.

Two things happened that may be related to my feeling, the 7500 miles Oil Service message came on as the mileage was reached and I road a majorly bad road producing a lot of bumps and shocks.

The feel of the bike has changed but it's hard to describe, it's almost like there's a bit more twin type vibration when accelerating and you think you have to accelerate harder to deliver the same power feeling you had before. I accept that these bikes aren't smooth like Japanese bikes but they are still reasonably smooth when delivering power and there's a great exhilaration feeling when opening the throttle. That V twin rattle or clacker or piston feel is still reasonably smooth but for some reason it feels a bit more pronounced now. And it's almost as if it's concentrated on the front end of the bike.

I always ride in sport mode and have checked the settings and nothing has changed in terms of engine power etc but i did notice that power was set to Medium even in default. My understanding is that this relates to throttle response not actual BHP.

Does any of this make sense to anyone? I mean it's almost like if you had 4 valves one of them wasn't working properly, i can't really describe it any better.

2. Hi, The 'Med' does refer to engine power I believe, there is also a 'sensitivity' setting for the throttle, I used to have mine set on high all the time because it's actually easier to ride in town. There is variation though in the bikes depending on the adaptions the ECU's are running. If you have had the battery off, or had it in for service it generally takes a while for the ECU to relearn some of it's bike specific settings. These differences are normally small though.

3. Thanks mate. The bike hasn't been serviced in a year so it is due and i've booked it in so hopefully a global test will bring up anything that's wrong. In the meantime, i'll go over the bike in as much detail as i can. It's a very strange one for sure.

4. Power is the same in sport and race mode. Rain has about 100bhp if I remember correctly. The low, medium and high settings are related to throttle feel/response and possibly power delivery. I’m no expert though so could be wrong. Just going off experience of my 899.

Rain I’ve only ever been in once just to “experience” it but you can of course change the low/medium/high setting for each mode. I’ve left them standard simply to keep the difference in feel for each mode.

Medium certainly feels less responsive and you have to turn the throttle more to get to full power. Once you’re in race mode on the high engine setting, there’s a more immediate response to the throttle and you have to turn it much less to get to full power. I think this is where it tricks people into thinking there is less power in sport mode. Test this by changing to high engine setting in sport mode. You’ll get the same power and feel to race, although bear in mind as traction control is set higher as standard in sport mode, this may affect things slightly.

5. There's a difference (according to the manual) between Medium and High settings of the engine. Medium has about 145hp, High has the full blown 151-ish. They also have a difference in throttle application.

6. Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I’ll do a bit of experimenting between now and when it goes in for service.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information