1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Slightly Peeved

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by RickyX, Feb 3, 2019.

1. I am in the process of tidying my new to me 749R.

Bike has no fairings on at the moment as I have been doing various jobs on it. I noticed today that the front of the air tubes do not quite line up with the attachment hole on the side of the headlight housing (where the nose fairing lower attachment bolt goes through).
    I had to push down hard on the tubes to line them up to put the bolt through.

Thinking this was a bit weird, I looked around to see what was causing it and found that the throttle body flange under the air box was not fully engaged with the inlet trumpet on the horizontal cylinder.
    I compared it to my track 749R and you can see that it is only half engaged and a bit on the piss.
    This was causing the whole air box to be lifted at the front, causing the air tubes not to line up vertically.

Back in November I paid a dealer to do my valves, which needed new closing shims....so, being an R, they took the heads off...costing me a little shy of 1300quid. I have not ridden the bike since that was done and the fairings have been off since before I trailered it to them and back again.

In addition, I found that the PC111 which was on it when I bought the bike had been totally disconnected. Not sure what this would do to the fuelling but it ran really well before with the PC111 connected.

I had a go at re-seating the air box/tb flange by loosening the jubilee type clip and pushing down on the air box but it did nothing.

Advice/suggestions appreciated.

2. Oh that's a pain Ricky. Can't help you at all but not good service from that dealer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I take it the tanks already off & both airtubes, I'd loosen both clamps off a lot and wiggle/rock the TB & airbox till its free then give the ends of the TB tubes a bit of lubrication squared up with a nice firm even pressure they should both pop back in

4. Damn. Got to be worth complaining, see if they can at least put the stuff right (if that’s what you want)

5. I don’t think that will work.
    I reckon I’d have to take the air box cover off and possibly the TB’s so I could get to the “floor” of the air box to press it down.
    Best bet would be to pull the entire assembly off and redo it properly.
    Not sure if I want to do all that however I also don’t want to have to take it 60 miles each way to get them to do it.
    I will be calling them to discuss it in the coming days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I will be letting them know what I have found and asking them for a solution that is minimal hassle for me.

7. Maybe propose for consideration a free labour oil change with the oil included next time out:thinkingface:

8. Undo both clips, lift the front and rear bodies out of the rubbers. Press down and locate the front. When that is sat down, pop the rear into position.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. After a conversation with the dealer, I am pleased to say that they recognise that the work did not meet their exacting standards and will be sending a van to pick up my bike. They will take it away and resolve my issues.
    Very pleased that they proposed this solution without any need for me to “complain”, as soon as I had explained the situation they immediately came up with the offer to come and sort it out. Good news.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Perhaps you should name the dealer as such a response is a very good omen for the way they conduct their business, positive results rarely receive the "press" of negative ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  11. That saves a exchange of argumentative words,happy days:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information