1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Slipper Clutch, Is It Worth Is On A Road Bike?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by FallingMage, May 8, 2017.

1. As the title says, just wondering if this is worth doing on a road only 748.
    I don't ride it as much those days, but it has had lots of nice upgrades over the years.

2. Unless you ride hard then the answer is not really. I have slipper clutches on two of my three bikes and they rarely come into play on the road. I don't have a slipper on my track bike either and that works just fine as long as i use the clutch to change down.

If you get one at the right price then fit it but they do need correct setting up and you will get a bit of clutch judder or hop even if set up correctly.

I have a DP and a Sigma clutch on my bikes and the Sigma still gives the slightest hop when pulling away despite very careful setting up by Sigma themselves at the time., and that is the better of the two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I have the stock slipper on the 749r, while a little basic, it works fine when set up correctly.

On the last track day, I could feel the slipper working and doing it's job.

On the road, I think I have felt it working once.

If you are road riding only, then not really needed. If you are looking for some extra "bling", and you will be fitting an open clutch cover etc to show it off, then go for it.

4. I'd argue yes as it gives me a more stable, and more importantly, quicker corner entry. I ride on the road predominantly. I like to be fast in, fast mid and fast out. Im quicker with a slipper, but thats just me. Im averagely quick. Whilst sometimes the engine braking is handy, sometimes, for me, it slows me too much for the corner and the back will 'skip' without one. I prefer the smoother corner entry a slipper gives me. Whether I am using it correctly or not is another debate entirely, but both my 916 and 1198 have one and I like em. I feel smoother with one than without. Of course it could all be in my mind.

5. My 996 came with one, my 999 didn't. I have now bought one for my 999 and not removed from the 996. If I buy another big twin, i'll buy another slipper.

Probably depends how/when/where you ride. I only go on sunny blasts on A or B roads and the odd track day. If I used the bikes to commute through heavy traffic they wouldn't be needed.

6. I maybe an old fart? but I like the engine braking and rev matching for a smooth downshift and have never felt the need for a slipper clutch - that said I've never tried one either.

7. slippers are good but my NGR one was quite snatchy in traffic when it was hot, great on the track though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information