1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Slipper Clutch

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Thecoke1, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Hi Guys,

Could I please ask for some advice from the expert knowledge available here on the Forum. I'd like to install a slipper clutch on my '98 916 Biposta and I have found a used STM assembly for sale from a 2002 748R, will it fit my 916?

Thanks,

Bob.

2. Yes it will however the condition of the used clutch is critical. If you have pictures post them please. Andy

3. Hi Andy,

Here you go.

Cheers,

Bob.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. The plates look ok ish, but that basket has seen better days, the pressure plate has quite a bit of damage/scuffs on the face to. Is that it all, because the drum assembly is missing and its that which makes it a slipper clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sadly the drum is not included and from your comments on condition I'm guessing this is not a good option. Thanks for saving me from a costly mistake. Any suggestions for the best manufacturer for a slipper clutch if I have to buy a new one (eventually when the pennies allow)?

6. Ive got Ducati performance slippers and there good but saying that I preferred the sigma I had mainly for the feel and had a little more braking, The DP ones just slip a little early imo, whether its easy of not to adjust this with springs etc I havnt bothered

7. Just to add that looks worn and you sure that pressure plate isn't a normal plate with notches taken of?

8. Thanks for the advice.

9. Thanks for posting pictures, the value of them is immediately obvious as you would have been taken for a ride without the advice. @nelly is spot on as usual but we have come to expect that :). If you Google "Bucci slipper clutch" one of the hits will be the very good assembly instructions and diagrams which are useful. Most modern slipper clutches have aluminium alloy or Ergal baskets which wear relatively quickly as the non friction plates in the clutch are made of steel, just a fact of life I'm afraid. The original 748R slipper has a steel basket when wears less quickly but can be a bit more janggly (if that is a real word). Be wary of used clutches but that said, good ones do come up occasionally. Andy

10. My favourite is the Sigma kit. I've supplied and fitted loads and never had a problem. Support is good to and is UK based. If your basket/plates are good, then you can just buy the drum. It's the drum that makes it a slipper clutch.
    DWR have had some good deals on EVR clutches on eBay of late. Nothing wrong with them at all.
    From experience, used slippers are hit and miss, especially off eBay. Often they are worn, spider springs shot or cracked and the spacer that fits behind the drum is often missing. They are no longer bargains as those parts can cost near a 100 quid.
    If you can afford it, buy new, especially if your plates and basket are worn, and you'll get good money back if you're one of the 'nice guys' selling it on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Forget the DWR reference. They have 48t basket kits but no slipper units.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks also for the excellent advice. Sigma seems to be the slipper clutch of choice, so the next obvious question is where is the best place to buy one if, as you suggest, I'm best with a new one?

Cheers,

Bob.

13. Ps you can get a forum discount too.

14. Thanks, I'll have to start saving some cash in my piggybank.

15. I have a DP slipper on my 748 and I still have very good experience engine braking but you can hear when it is working as the engine slowly spins up on aggressive downshift. Having said that my clutch has quite a bad shudder & slip/grab if I give it too many revs off the line. I understand that this is a common problem with many slippers. My 999 has no slipper and I don't miss it. I think if I wasn't taking the bike to the track or riding like a maniac I'd be quite happy with a standard clutch. Personal opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Engine breaking is fine on road, on track it's to slipping. I'm sure I could fix/play with it if I had more hours in the day.

17. If the drums missing then it's really not worth bothering with. You'd also need to see a pic of the back of the pressure plate to confirm it's a slipper.

18. Plus one for Sigma particularly if you want to use it on the road. Only slight hop when moving off and no grab or glitch. I had mine set up by Sigma and Neil Spalding so I knew it was going to be right from the word go.

If you are using a slipper for normal road use you might want to ask the question "do I really need one" as they tend to be more useful if you are a spirited rider and less good if you potter around town.

I have slipper clutches on two of my three bikes and being truthful I get very little out of having the slippers apart from the odd occasion when they come into their own. This is using them as a mixture of road and track work.

19. That's exactly what I find with the DP slipper, sometimes have thought ide rather be without it but its handy at times, sigma had a perfect balance

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information