1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Slowly Loosing Clutch Fluid

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mobile Chicane, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Hi All

I seem to be slowly loosing clutch fluid, the level in the reservoir on the master cylinder seems to drop very gradualy over several rides.

There is no leaking fluid from the reservoir cap or the master cylinder so I'm thinking its a weep on the slave cylinder.

is this a known issue, how easy is it to remove and inspect the slave cylinder and is it worth getting the oberon slave cylinder to replace the oem one ?

2. This has been discussed at length and yes the OEM clutch slave cylinder has been problematical since the launch of the 916. The Oberon is one of a small number of aftermarket slave cylinders that are recommended and the swap over is very easy. The latest generation now have a pin through the pushrod to stop it spinning that slots into a plastic insert in the slave cylinder. I've changed the clutch slave cylinders on all 4 of my Ducatis and have had no further issues. Hope that helps. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. thought so my bike is still in warranty but I'd rather just change the unit if its going to go again its just under £100 for the part its a no brainer

4. Go for the warranty .. take that oem for free ofcourse... buy the new one and keep the oem for a big trip or something!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I swapped for an Oberon one as preventative maintenance and keep the original one under the seat. Having had slave cylinder failures on an Aprilia and KTM in the past, I'm happy to have a more solid unit installed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Having mimne fixed over at Pro Twins next week. Had exactly the same problem with fluid very slowly leaking out and no visible sign where from. Took it to Pro Twins and they sugested it was the slave cylinder so it will be replaced under warranty next week. I have a coupl of other monor niggles as well with the bike as I keep getting the 10amp fuse blowing (I use the USB for my phone/Sat nv and have the fog lamps on for extra vis) and the heated grips arent very warm either (some connection there I think).

7. Had that problem with my KTM. (The Streetfighter's been fine. Touch wood...)
    Actually my fluid level didn't drop noticeably but the pressure began to slacken at the lever and the amount of free play increased to the point where I was missing gear changes and gradually the lever was getting closer to the handlebar before the clutch would disengage.

The KTM guys told me the O rings fail inside the slave. You can't see any leaks externally but with each lever pull a tiny bit of air enters the system. Bet its the same with the Ducati slaves. Just shit machining I reckon.
    I can't make up my mind whether the KTM slave (already replaced under warranty) isn't doing it again. But its so gradual its very hard to tell. Reckon I'll just fit an Oberon anyway and be done. Ought to fit one to the SF as well, if only to make it lighter.

• Like Like x 1
  8. No, don't tank there's a link there, the heated grips are almost useless as standard :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. That may be true for you but certainly not for everyone

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. I had the same issue and a new slave cylinder under warranty fixed it.
    the clutch / gear shifts still gets progressively hard as the bike gets hotter during a days ride

11. Not trying to gate crash the thread but my heated grips cook ya bloody hands off, very rare I can ride in the winter with them set on the hottest, always go low or middle. I'd get them looked at @broke ??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Another Oberon convert here. A much lighter clutch action is an added benefit.

I also changed my res caps to the alloy Ducati Performance versions as both the clutch and brake reservoirs were weeping slightly and couldn't be bothered to ride over to Shipley to have mine changed to the same thing and have the same problem.

13. I beg to differ, I think if you do a search on here you may find a common criticism.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Already have the oberon reservoir caps which cured the weep out of the top of the resevoirs

15. As has been said before. Dump it and fit an Oberon. Every single Ducati Ive owned has had one of these added. Otherwise it will happen, most likely when your miles from home, at night, its raining, in middle of nowhere and your mobile has no battery left.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Guys - thanks for the good information. Been trying to find some of this on other forums to no luck. Planning to pick up the Oberon for my new-to-me 2011 MTS1200. Another question, though:

Where can I find a rebuild kit for the master cylinder? There's a bit of flaking corrosion on the lever and I've found fluid. Not sure if it's the leaky cap or a defunct piston seal, but figured I'd rebuild the entire system while it's drained.

18. Hi there, got 2 MTS a 2015 DVT 1200S done 21k miles just fitted Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder after OE failed vg feel now.
    On my MTS Enduro 2016 different story I've had 3 Standard ones under warranty now out of warranty and done 22k miles no messing about an Oberon one onto it too. Caps all been ok so far....

19. 2018 monster 1200, 3800 miles on the clock same issue.
    I am having a new slave fitted next week, under warranty.
    I have also ordered an Oberon, which I will install once the warranty has expired.
    And keep the OEM slave as a back up spare.
    About time ducati sorted this problem out, surely cheaper to fit a slave that is fit for purpose.
    Than keep changing under warranty.

#19 hypermotbloke, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  20. Must be variable, I have had no problems with the heated grips on my Monster, fitted when new.
    I have only used hottest settings on very cold days.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information