1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Motorways Review

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jez900ie, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Smart motorways are to be reviewed following concerns over driver safety. Transport secretary Grant Shapps told MPs: "We know people are dying on smart motorways".

I'm very glad to see this is being reviewed. My personal feeling is that using the hard shoulder as a driving lane is confusing and leads to accidents and fatalities.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Agree with above. Also, revenue generation with the flaming cameras and 50/40/60s for no apparent reason. I hate them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The cameras should all be removed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. It needs a driver education programme by the media!

The middle lane twats just sit in lane 3 now and many more seem frightened of going into lane 1! made my urine boil today on the fecking M6:astonished:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Perhaps they (middle lane twats) are worried that they will hit a broken down car on the inside lane...

Then again the review might highlight/ reveal some information such as lack of driver knowledge due to insufficient media campaign?

6. I just sail up the inside of the twats. Encountered a middle laner at 04.30 when I was off to the airport. Fekkin ridiculous :bomb:

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Whilst I agree that the cameras are nothing more than “revenue generators” the stretches of motorway that I’ve driven/ridden on that have them move very quickly at peak times.

8. ^^ don’t disagree but get mighty pissed of when they seem to switch on the limits at a certain time regardless of actual traffic flow. Dumb motorways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Are you still encountered to undertake ‘twats’ on the M25?
    I seem to remember seeing signs encouraging this behaviour a few years ago

10. Fuck all smart about these motorways...

I often drive up the M1, across the M25 at very early hours and to be signaled to slow down to 40 when there’s naff all happening... happens too often.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Aren't we allowed to pass on the inside only due to lane speed variation, and not deliberatly moving inside to pass?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. You're lucky, they close the A1 / M1 at night whenever I need to do London / Lincs it seems...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. It’s not a very smart motorway when you don’t have a hard shoulder
    It’s not very smart bunching up traffic
    Might as well install traffic lights

Saying that getting to London at 50mph can be quicker :)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. what's a motorway?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Never heard of them? :thinkingface:

16. me neither.

17. I've seen one of those SMART car things - do you need one of them to go on them? :thinkingface:

18. They’re like two A9’s stitched together. But with loads of trucks and cars on them.

seriously though, it never ceases to amaze me how congested England’s roads are. I used cruise control from Valencia to Calais about 90% of the time. Then from Folkestone to Yorkshire, I don’t think I used it all... :astonished: Roads too busy....

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Just bought the Mrs one of those. It won’t let her in... :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Is the A9 like two A939's :D
    Agree that roads in England are f. busy at peak times with too many middle lane hoggers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information