1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Smelling Fuel

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Boukekoppejan, May 9, 2018.

1. Hi Guys!

How are you?

I always smel fuel when i stop for a trafficlight or something. I have checked the fuel lines from the tank but no leakage. Do you Guys smell fuel aswell or do i have a other problem?

Thank you

2. Is it a plastic tank?? They can swell and split, think mine is starting to do it :(

3. Hi,

No i have the alloy tank:upyeah:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. when you say fuel, do you mean fresh fuel? as generally the exhaust smells pretty fuel like at low revs around town and it's right behind you. I've noticed on all my Ducati's that they stink a bit compared certainly to Japanese bikes, however if it's fresh strong fuel smell there could be an issue with the tank as mentioned.

• Like Like x 1

5. Hi, no generally i smell it when i am on the bike driving and when i have to stop i smell the fuel very good. So it not fresh fuel:upyeah:

If that the only thing What could be wrong? I checked the tank and i saw nothing

6. If you can smell fuel, there clearly is an issue which you need to resolve. The consequences of a fuel fire are horrendous. If you have removed the petrol tank from the bike at any time, it is very easy to damage the small ‘o’ ring on the external fuel pipe connectors. That would be the first place that I would look. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3

7. But if the o ring is damaged then you see a leakage i thouht so?

85DA8AF0-73C6-4738-9FB8-F52603CFC623.jpeg 1871E6DA-5ABA-4512-8A18-6777ABD8161D.jpeg

8. Not necessarily as it only needs to be the slightest of weeps. A small amount of petrol vapour goes a long way. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ok and How can i resolve this problem? Buy new fuel hoses or can i change the o rings?

10. if in doubt, change the o rings ( always good to have a spare set in the garage toolbox )
    and also check the Tank filler cap, as if the breather is blocked you can get a vapour release form the tank cap, and thats just under your nose when riding.
    also see if the tank is pressurising, when the pump is running, you shouldn't really hear a pressure release when you open the filler cap

11. The 'o' ring is a consumable and easily changed. It won't be the hose. Nathanhu's call on the fuel cap is also a common problem. Andy

12. Those goddamned green o rings are a right pain. Ive snagged it twice when putting the hose back. Buy spares is good advice.

13. Hi,

Tomorrow i will buy Some new o rings and change them. Tonight i checked the fuel cap but i see nothing strange on it

14. heres what i think... its fumes unburnt fuel from the exhaust.....when you had the bike dynoed they are interested in power and not the low down revs so its running rich ie safer not lean so it was left there....

15. I agree, another plausible answer. Andy

16. Do your clothes smell of fuel after a ride, when you have got off the bike? Is so, I had this problem some years ago with my Aprilia RSV, turned out it was the fuel filler cap rubber seal, the one that sits on the underside of the opening part, replaced the seal and no more smell, just a thought!!

17. That was indeed the first problem but that is solved now:upyeah:

18. I have checked this and everything was ok, after a ride my clothes don’t smell to fuel. Yesterday i have changed the o rings in the fuel line connectors so hopefully it is solved now. Thx!

19. Hi there try the 2 ally unions at the bottom of your tank on the r/h side that your 2-1 tank breather pipe connects to, unscrew these you can find there filled with corrosion were water sits there just clear with a needle blow out tank & pipe side jobs a goodun if its this good luck .

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Just a update; it looks like that the problem is solved with changing the o rings and with cleaning the tank breather lines, they where a litle bit dirty!

Thank you all!

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information