1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snap-on Drawer Stuck

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by GarySN, Aug 8, 2019.

1. I have a three-drawer Snap-On tool chest that I kept when my Dad passed away. I don't have a set of keys and I don't know how old it is, though it must be at least 30 years old. Until recently all three drawers opened and shut without issue. The top and bottom drawers still operate just fine, but the middle one seems to be locked as if one of the others is open. I don't think it's jammed by anything inside. I noticed last night that the bottom drawer doesn't quite close completely on one side, and again does not appear to be hampered by any contents.

Are there any obvious tricks I can try to free up the middle drawer? Is there a way of removing the top an bottom drawers to get a better look inside? Any advice gratefully received.

2. Open bottom drawer and release from runner at each side and remove, to gain better access to middle drawer from below.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Ping the side catch's out..

20190808_132147.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I hope that works. Based on the "other thread about a sprocket" angle grinders, dremmels, hammers, chisels and hack saws will not help!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks chaps. Will do.

6. a box of that age should have the year of manufacture stamped on the back

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Make sure the lid is up properly too.

8. No lid, just drawers

9. Off to Amsterdam for the weekend (with my boys, aged 8 and 12, so the only coffee shops we'll be visiting are the ones that serve coffee!), so it'll have to wait till next week.

10. Make sure that a tool has not got caught in the drawer and is stopping the runner, I had a screwdriver that did this and shook the tool box several times to free it and it cleared the runner and the drawer opened.

11. agree ^ had exactly the same :upyeah:

12. Spookily, just back from the shed having freed the drawer by slamming the bottom one shut a couple of times, to find your suggestion!

Thanks to all for your input.

13. Thread closed then?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Draw open and closed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I feel this thread has concluded way too early...

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. And with out the use of heavy machinery .
    Bit of a let down ..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Meh, it would have been resolved much quicker with a chain saw : unamused:

18. It's a Shut and Open case :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. I have to say I agree. The sense of achievement would have been far greater with a day's effort and a few scraped knuckles!

20. Sorry 'bout that :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information