1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Can We Obtain Any Service History From Ducati?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Billy London, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Hello there,

So I've got myself a 749s with no service history book.

I know, it's a risk to take but the price was too good to pass up.

She rides lovley btw and I'm hooked! I like the tinkering just as much as the riding so looking forward to getting stuck in and giving her some love.

My question is: Can we obtain any past servicing history from Ducati UK?

Has anyone tried? How did you get on with it?

I have done a search on our forum here, but no results pertaining to my subject. I've google it too and another forum says no but that was dated 2008. I'm hoping technology has caught up with the lack.

Billy.

2. I'm guessing that you'd be able to get the service history IF it'd been serviced by an official dealer. I would suspect that a bike of that age would have initially been serviced by an official dealer but latterly by any old mechanic and therefore the records wouldn't show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I recently purchase a secondhand motorbike that came from a Ducati dealer with NO service book, or spare key as they purchased it from the widow ( the previous owner had past away so DVLA placed it her name ) & perhaps it was lost over the years or they just couldn't find it on the day when collecting the motorcycle.Anyway i went see the lady and she was not in only her son but i did manage to speak with her on the telephone but with no positive results.The next move was contacting four Ducati dealers in that area but again no bloody luck on that front.
    Try phoning around with your numberplate details and hopefully you'll get better luck than me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Many number plates have dealer phone numbers on, worth trying that first I would think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. UK Ducati authorised dealer service histories are not held centrally. If you know which dealer did the service, they will confirm that it was done, I do not believe they will provide a copy of what was done though. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Have look through the mot history on the .gov site, a friendly tester may know which mechanic brings Ducatis to him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Now that is a good idea! Thank you:upyeah:

8. I’ve done this in the past. When the bike is new it will no doubt have the dealer details splattered all over the number plate, but overtime it usually gets changed for something smaller. So to establish the dealer the bike came from when new look at the first two letters of the reg, google them for a location of where the bike was originally registered, then look for Ducati dealers in that area, for example PN is Preston so likely the bike came from Ducati Preston or HX which is Hampshire so likely Motorapido etc etc. Phone them and ask if the bike was sold by them and if so what work they did and if they have any records. When I did this I found my 1098 with no history had come from MotoRapido. I contacted them and they were very helpful and sent me a new service book with the stamps in it for what they had done. They also gave me the name and phone number of the original owner whom I rung. He was genuinely very happy to talk to me about his old bike and have me the number of the chap he sold it to, so I rung him and found out where he had it serviced and obtained a copy of the receipts and stamps from them also. It’s a paper trail that worked well for me and I got a full service history. However it is dependent on helpfulness of the dealers and whether they keep records. Worth a try though!:upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Gracie Milo BigM, very helpful

10. Looks like i'm screwed then as mine originally was supplied by Three Cross Motorcycles Ltd.:sob:

11. You are screwed not because TCM went bust, screwed because they were an awful dealer :joy: Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Oh well that's life regarding the paperwork, but who cares i do have the motorcycle which will just be a grin from now on in before i hang up my bike kit for ever.

13. Yep, it complicates matters if the dealership is defunct! o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I've sent a letter to the DVLA regarding just the first & second owners addresses as i'm the fifth and i know the third owner is deceased, what do think my chances are then.:thinkingface:

15. None whatsoever. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Have to agree with Andy I’m afraid. The DVLA don’t normally divulge such information easily, usually just for legal purposes.

17. Didn’t Three Cross Motorcycles give up with Ducatis and become a Trumpet dealer? When they did I think they had a strop and threw the Commodore 64 with all the Ducati info out of the window!

18. I know of at least 2 or maybe 3 incarnations of Three Cross and pretty sure Ducati withdrew the dealership. The business had a very variable reputation, some good times but some absolutely sh*t times. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  19. I think I've read that the issue with this now in general is GDPR - i.e. that even if they have a service history, a dealer would need to contact all the previous owners who feature on the paperwork in order to secure their consent to release e.g. copies of past invoices. Of course if they were prepared to assemble an inventory of work done that would probably get around the law, but one suspects that many or most dealers, shops etc now lean to saying "sorry mate, GDPR innit" ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Your probably right but you can't blame me as i'm just after closure with all avenues on the paperwork & then i can accept what i've with the motorcycle.

#20 XH558, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
Do Not Sell My Personal Information