1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So this marine convicted then

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradders, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Amazed no one has posted yet...murder or heat of battle? Justification after having his colleagues killed and parts of them staked out so they could see or no justification is possible

Do we reckon any other country in the world would have taken this action against their frontline troops or just destroyed the evidence and moved on?

2. Error............The camera was running.

3. and footage put out there

4. I think that the marine was convicted on premeditation.He didn't shoot the injured man in the heat of battle.The man was dragged under cover so nobody could see what was going on and then he was shot.
    I think the evidence could not be destroyed because it appears to have been distributed.
    The jury had no option than to find guilty.Whether we agree/disagree with the outcome is debatable.

5. It was only what went on other conflicts....as to whether it matters much about which nationality did what......Just don't film it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. And thats the debate really. Clearly did it, but to what extent do we take battle conditions etc into account and is it right to have these guys with recording kit on all the time.

But the second bit is, would this footage have come to light in any other country? Or would it simply have been deleted..

7. this is the first ive heard of this story so ive done a quick google. Is the 'murder' of an insurgent of Afghanistan, and so-called 'Marine A'??

8. Yep. They had been taking fire and he was shot by a chopper and the marine finished him off. Although he says he thought he was already dead. The transcript and sound recoding are pretty conclusive tbh

9. ive just read some of the reposts and seen the edited footage/audio of the incident.

Based on the evidence presented to the court, and the secular standards of fairness and morality by which we live here in Europe, i think that the court had little choice but to find him guilty.

However, thats all well and good in a court room, totally detatched from the realities of warfare. The Afghan insurgents have not signed the Genva Convention and so play by different rules. Also their morality is based on a holy text, which, as anyone with even a shred of common sense or education will know, is the last place anyone turns for moral enlightenment...

So we are dealing with a code of honour against a medieval rule of barbarism. Should the insurgent have been killed? By the first bullet, yes..then he 'should' have been given medical assistance. The trouble is, when youre fighting an enemy that will happily behead you and post it online, its rather difficult to be cool and rational...UK forces shouldnt be in that hell hole in the first place, and in that sense are invaders..so i can understand the hatred that the Afghanis feel towards us..but they also live by barbaric standards, and ultimately, theres a war on...its not nice.

One doesnt have to search very far online to witness footage of the executions and murders of US and British forces in the Middle East...One of the most shocking ive seen is a downed US helicopter. One of the crew is alive, although badly burned...they march him off into a field and literally shred him to pieces in a hail of gunfire screaming 'allah akbar'...that religion for you.

I dont see anyone campaigning over that 'incident'...

We have put ourselves over a barrel by playing to a different set of rules, and this soldier, due to his poor judgement has become the poster boy for British fairness...He shouldnt have done it..He is a Marine...This stuff has always happened in war, but now its all on cam...i wonder how many of our lads have been butchered to death in the deserts of the that shithole?

Muslims the world over will be rejoicing and no doubt calling for the death of him and his family.

Thats justice for you i suppose when youre fighting barbaric animals.

• Like Like x 6
  10. have you heard the footage seen the bits of video…………fook sake…….

11. yeah, he bumped him off alright...which was wrong...by our standards

if it had been the other way around our bloke would have been beheaded or set on fire surrounded by dancing insurgents and the rattle of AK-47s....

12. But that doesnt make it right, and it is what should set us apart from the others especially at the height of pressure in the heat of the battle!

• Like Like x 3
  13. i'll remember that next time we're debating another police brutality case
    :wink:

14. Id have done exactly the same as Marine A.Im surprised they don't have a spare helmet without cam for these trying times.

In fact id have been tempted to finish him with my knife see how they fucking like it.

The only bad thing here was it was recorded.Seem to remember Taliban executed young British soldier when he decided to leave the base on his own at night.Still its not good this got out as Taliban still have a Amercian soldier hostage if I remember correctly so we must be seen to be doing the right thing.

I also remember a American Sergeant executing two IED fuckers in Iraq and he got locked up also.Might have looked odd if Marine A was found not guilty.

From the day the Taliban started hacking school teachers heads off for teaching girls and shooting young girls on the way to school I say fuck em.The Geneva convention should be used with fellow professional soldiers imho not these c##ts.

#14 matt#corse, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Since you have just labelled yourself a murderer, and represent yourself as being in favour of brutal murders, I suggest you take some care to maintain your anonymity. Unless you were joking of course ...

16. Since when did saying you WOULD do the same become a crime

17. If saying "I will kill you" is a crime, then saying "I would kill you" probably is as well.....

18. Yes I was joking but I certainly wont be loosing any sleep over another dead Taliban fighter.

Perhaps it would be better to leave them and withdraw so the they can be stretchered away by there own fighters.Better still Taliban could also adopt Geneva convention so all wounded and captured troops receive decent treatment.We usualy do.

19. Now that Marine A has been convicted of murder by the Court Martial, the sentence to be passed next month inevitably has to be life imprisonment. The question for the judge is what the tariff should be, i.e. how many years before A can be considered for parole. That is a rather technical matter, but the board (of seven RN & RM officers and WOs) has a say along with the judge. My guess is 10 years - we will find out in due course if I am right. Then there is the question whether there will be an appeal. It is not easy to imagine any rational basis for an appeal against conviction, although as we saw in the Nightingale case that does not stop some people. The good news is that in this case there do not seem to have been ill-advised and prejudicial comments from politicians.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Once again it shows that some actions by the elite UK forces have been ill judged.......

.....fancy leaving a camera running when a prisoner was shot...........

.....fancy keeping the footage on a laptop afterwards...........

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information