1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solar Battery Tender For Car

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradders, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Amyone using one that’s recommended ? Not used vdub since MOT’d maybe couple months ago but battery flat so really need to think about keeping it topped up. As it lives outside the garage, I don’t really want to run a lead outside so thinking about a panel that I can use to keep it topped up. I’ve seen eBay specials that have a small panel that sits in the window and plugs in to the cigarette lighter.

Any ideas?

2. I had one once for a car that I didn’t use much, I think it would keep the battery at the level it was at but not charge it.
    That didn’t have an alarm or anything so don’t know how much affect that would have.
    Might be Worth checking the lighter socket is permanently ‘on’ first (though you probably already know).

3. My mate hooked his Optimate to a solar charger/panel from Amazon for his Aprilia that has a very hungry alarm as his garage has no power. Been working fine for a good few years.

4. Be mindful not to connect an optimate to a stop-start battery as it will kill it dead.
    You need the correct stop-start technology charger, as I found out with the van.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Paul the one that Cream revenge shows works by connecting via the E.O.B.D socket.

I would be reluctant to plug something like this into my Porker as it adds another element of something that could potentially go wrong ( short circuit etc).

I would be suspicious of the claims that it could provide sufficient power to maintain a battery efficiently.

If a battery is not charged at a certain level ( can't remember the exact figure despite @derrick mentioning it numerous times) the plates can start the process of sulphation which can degrade/ruin a battery.
    I would much rather use a good quality battery tender and leave it permanently connected to the cars battery despite the hassle of doing so if possible, or, make an effort to connect a tender regularly- say once a week during the day, and then disconnect once the tender has brought the battery level up to full.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Brad, take a look at the VW Bus sites. Ive seen them as kits at places like VW heritage and Just Kampers. Plus there's a few wiring diagrams and how to threads on those bus sites.

7. My mate hooked it into an Optimate and then the battery, not to a EOBD.

#8 Cream_Revenge, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. 1998 cr. think I’ll be safe on this one ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. As it stays outside, I’m trying to avoid running a wire out the garage. May be I’ll just need to, get some conduit and do the job a bit more permanently. Still means I have to leave the bonnet unhooked tho, as it will otherwise mean the chargers is outside. Also means I’ll need to remove the bulb from the frunk to stop it staying on.

10. Understand you don't want to run a wire out of the garage. How about an outside socket?

Could you not fit even a small battery tender in the bonnet. I have a German battery tender, bought at a bargain price from Aldi I believe, that is a totally sealed unit so you could leave it outside with no problem.
    If it was mine I would fit one of those sockets permanently to the battery that Optimate uses, and bring the lead out to an accessible area of the car which negated the need to have the bonnet open.
    Btw You don't need to use conduit to bring a cable for outside power outside, there are alternatives, such as S.W.A or Hi-Tuf. Make sure it's all protected by a 30ma R.C.D though.

11. That would be ideal: a connection I can hang thru a wheel arch and connect when needed. It’s just waterproofing that’s the issue

Do Not Sell My Personal Information