1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Sold The '11 1200s And Got A '15 1200s Dvt....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by MrACD, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Haven't had the 2011 long, it's a lovely Touring black one with the carbon bits. Did 1000 miles on it up to Scotland and back and was great (apart from the wind protection).

We are going across Europe next year so have sold it and got a 2015 Touring DVT, as wanted cruise and the other bits.

Question is though, have I done the right thing? - will it be more comfortable? Better tank range? Better wind protection? Feel as quick? etc etc.

Yep, should have tested first but you know.......

Anyone done the same sort of swap from a 10-12 to 15 onwards?

Put my mind at rest... o_O

2. They're all great imo, you'll love it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bikes rarely get worse with newer models.

The DVT is a great bike and without the surging and lumpiness the early models sometimes had. Better clocks, cruise control, and more toys. Night and day better :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. But lacks the engine characteristics of 1200 pre DVT

#4 michel couque, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  5. Who cares… (I’ve never understood this fascination with ‘character’)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I care, and that is why you like the DVT and I prefer pre DVT, like I loved my 900ss with its character .

#6 michel couque, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. And some would call the DVT a more refined evolution of the Multistrada concept. Sure, it lacks the rawness and less smooth/linear power curve of the earlier models but as a sports tourer designed to effortlessly dispense with miles yet have the performance and reasonable enough handling to make mountain roads entertaining it's awesome.

Test riding a V4 Mutley on Wednesday whilst my 1260s is being serviced. I'm expecting to be smitten with that despite earlier reservations on the styling (they're better in the flesh/plastic/metal). Not in the position to buy one currently so it might be a frustrating exercise. Nothing wrong with my current bike mind you, save the impending valve service.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Agreed, and that’s why it all comes down to personal preferences. If only I could somehow fit a twin spark engine into DVT onwards frame and cycle parts I would be in heaven.

#8 michel couque, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Nothing wrong with a DVT 1200S, not lacking in character either IMO. Stick it in Sport mode and it’s got plenty of character… Great bike, and TBH although I love my GS I wouldn’t want to let go of my DVT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Can’t agree there I’m afraid. My TS was awful to ride, the engine when you pulled either wanted to stall or give it a bit more throttle and the front wheel would come up. And because the way the engine “character” produced the power especially in traffic, you were up and down the gearbox like a lunatic.
    The DVT is streets better than the TS, and no doubt the 1260 is better again than the DVT.

11. I dunno, isn't the claimed torque and power for a 1260 lower than a 1200?

12. I can only suggest your engine must have had an issue as mine is as smooth as silk?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Don't think so; thought that the 1200 DVT was 150bhp, vs 158bhp for the 1260. Max torque is very close. just edged by the later bike, but the curve for the 1260 lacks the midrange dip in the curve of the 1200.

Though MCN do seem to disagree on the power figures with 160bhp for the 1200 and 156bhp for the 1260... Depends on a lot of variables with their tests years apart, not quibbling though. Happy with mine, has more than enough grunt for my use.

#13 Bumpkin, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Seems it wasn't a great idea, had the DVT for a week and it's throwing codes already the first time I've been in the rain... Great!

15. Sorry to hear this. Quite possibly the HT leads on the horizontal cylinder breaking down. Have heard of this happening on the 1200 DVT in particular and something that wet weather is likely to highlight.

16. Cheers, hopefully it's something like that and not more sinister.

17. Funny I found my twin spark smooth, smoother than the original and smoother than the 1198 I have. None of them have behaved how you describe. I mean yes I have to switch gears as speeds vary between 15 - 25 but I don't really see this as an issue the only bike I have that likes living in that range is my thumper.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Us older Air cooled multi guys know the meaning of raw power and character. Plus an uncomfortable seat :sob:

Liked it a lot when I had younger bones. Now in my old age I need a little more refineness :joy:

#18 pcn1, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I went 2013 TS to 2015 DVT. Like said, more refined and less ‘fun’. But a step on, you could instantly ride as quick without having to get used to it. But when pushed on, the old skyhook was better for me.

My TS was smooth as silk in any gear and almost any revs. Would wheelie off the gas in all but urban for fun. Enough to get it up and thru 4 gears before it planted again without any finesse (I posses zero of that).

• Like Like x 1
  20. And there were plenty of pre-DVT out there with 150 rwhp allegedly with some filter and system and custom map mods. Never seen anything close to that with DVT. And it felt like it had less power

upload_2021-10-19_21-53-32.png

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information