1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone Mentioned Maxxis Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by SF Kiwi, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Hey, there 1198 crew....

A year ago I was on my 1098 SF and swapped my Perelli Corsas for Bridgestone S22's

Now I'm on my 1198, can't afford S22's this time round but very very keen on the Maxxis Supersport

I remember someone on here saying that they had some on their 1198....Can you confirm, please?

Mostly for the street but have a track day booked in Aug at Donny...so yea

Thanks in advance

Craig

2. Personally I wouldn't go there - they are squiffy o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. So far your advice has been bang on, and I commend you for that.
    Squiffy is a very technical term I'm not aware of

4. Others may have the opposite opinion (we will see soon :eyes:) - not bought them before due to reports from friends of them not feeling very confidence inspiring, I'm sure there are much better tyres out there for similar money :):upyeah: Check out Demon Tweeks who have a large selection of all brands at reasonable prices.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Just a thought, but plenty of scrubs available on various forums. Personally I would much rather go that way than with Maxxis, while I have no first hand experience, I have talked to a few people who have used those tyres and say while there is not real problem with them they do not inspire confidence. And on a track day I would like to know my tyres are better than me.

6. I used maxxis on my old R1. They were excellent for road riding, and very competitively priced at the time too compared to Bridgestone or Dunlops.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Oh thanks for the advice..I have no experiance of "scrubs".
    Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction ?

8. 'Scrubs' are typically used ex-race/track tyres. I personally wouldn't use them on a road bike/road conditions. Unless he means used road tyres, which is an option.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. General consensus by those that have the Ktm 790 is that they are crap.
    Once they changed them to something decent they say it transformed the bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. I have run Maxxis before. They are as good as any other competitor tyre. I managed to ground footpegs on my Gixer cornering with 'em on and that is no mean feat :D

I know that Chris Walker ran the Maxxis Sports on his ZX6R and ZX10R bikes at the Mallory Park race school. I have been there a few times. He could hit very low numbers on lap times on the tyres. I was told he had a answer for the snooty types that dissed them out of hand, that IF they could ride around on a pair of slicks and if they matched or beat his lap times on the Maxxis on the 6R...they got their race day for free.
    No-one ever managed to of course :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. No doubt he could do better lap times on a Harley than me on a BSB bike.

Doesn't mean I would want to own a Harley.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. SO that's quite funny......

2 people who have had them reckon they are ok and do a great job

4 people who haven't had them, wouldn't touch them

Socially, that's quite the experiment

I reckon I"ll give them a blast (for the money), if they don't work out, I can still pop on the ones I have (Dunlop Poop something) and know are shit.

Brilliant and thank you to everyone for your comments, very insightful

#15 SF Kiwi, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Each to their own fella, I hope they work out for you, IMOPO as I have never had a set of Maxxis so cant comment but have many miles under my belt with Bridgestone, Michelin and Pirelli these are my go to tyres irrespective of cost.

14. That has always been Maxxis problem. Lots of bikers dismiss 'em out of hand without ever trying them, which is a mistake really. They make truly excellent (as in championship winning) MX and Enduro tyres and they make probably the best cycle tyres available anywhere ( bloody prices reflect that too lol). They are a massive worldwide company

They do know how to stick rubber onto carcases :D

I have never been a tyre snob, always been happy to try any make. Maxxis never gave me any issue or concern. Dunlops have - but that's a whole other story ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. I wouldn't class that as tyre snobbery, I just go with what I'm familiar with and have confidence in.
    These Chinese bike manufacturers, they make millions of machines, would I buy one, no. Am I therefore a snob? :eek:

16. TBH the tyres on the mountain bike are Maxxis, the tyre on my old GPZ750 air cooled are Metzeler front and dunlop rear :)

17. Yep I hear you for sure...I also can comment on all of the above brands...Funny thing is, my mountain bike is shod with Maxxis and they are the best bar none....any MTBer can testify to that, every other brand plays catch up and rips them off.
    I'll have a punt on the 1198 and I'll (first hand) let ya'll know what I reckon.

Thanks for joining the conversation tho

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information