1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes We Need To Remind Ourselves......

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 1299KBJ, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Just watched a program about a 21 year old lad who took his own life because of debt. Working as a courier rider earning very little on a zero hour contract,he obtained two traffic fines,one for riding in a bus lane. Each fine was for £65,but as he couldn't afford to pay them they amassed to over £1000. Depressed,and with seemingly nowhere to turn he hanged himself.
    Here we are on one of the most elitist forums in the world,probably all with our own story to tell.
    I am glad to be reminded,how fortunate I am.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 13
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Yeah I watched that also. Sad story and a real shame he thought he couldn't talk to his mum etc. You got to talk in these situations and not bottle it up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. True, but it is apparent in all walks of life, on here as well as anywhere else. We need our eyes open and be aware when it is or might be. It is a very difficult subject. Nice to point it out though :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Taking your own life can never be an easy decision. I’m sure this poor man must have been dealing with bigger demons than traffic fines.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Agree. I know nothing about this lad's story but his sad demise doesn't necessarily mean he was "ill" and could have been medicated or counselled away from his decision. There is immense pressure in modern life with peace, space, time and stability under constant attack in a super-heated, logged-on, acquisitive and consumption driven society that is highly toxic to the human spirit. It is lethal to some people.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It reminds us how fortunate we are not to be seriously affected by such pressures, which is what I think the OP’s original point was.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Asking for help isn’t easy
    I had to ask for help a few weeks ago because I was finding it hard to make sense of where I was
    I have been very independent and to have to admit I needed help wasn’t an easy thing to do
    I felt a failure after thinking I could deal with it all.

Soon as I asked for help I needed it straight away if my appointment hadn’t been in a couple of days after asking I would have tried to make it on my own

On the other side of the coin no one really knew of my struggles my friends thought i would get through it
    I was able to pull the wool over their eyes so it’s not an easy thing to spot either

Also getting seen by someone who can help takes time in the system, it can take ages to get an appointment months

I was lucky with my cancer diagnosis came a lot of psychological help when I asked and in days, im very lucky
    I also receive help with well-being at my local hospice with living in the moment

It’s about re teaching your brain and way of thinking un doing 50 years of “brain washing” in my case

I feel very thankful for the help I’m receiving others aren’t as lucky

The system really does let people down
    Mental health needs to be a priority.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Love You Love You x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Thats how I ended up doing stir in the 80's. Amassed over £900 in costs and fines over non payment, re-appearances in courts etc. All for riding my Lambretta uninsured etc. Banged me up in Pentonville for 2wks. My cell mate was on remand for murder and my only other distraction was Graeme Gooch's autobiography. As if being banged up wasnt enough for an immature and niaive 22 yr old. Only by the good grace of the Prison Officers was I moved to work on the servery and amongst other low risk prisoners.

I read that sad story and thought how little has changed.

btw £900 in 1984ish was a lot for someone on a yts on £25/wk. Cheers Thatcher you slag.

#8 bootsam, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I know that if I had been given mental health help seven years ago when I was diagnosed with an untreatable illness that I would have for life-I would have been able to have coped so much better.
    I am paying privately now for mental help and I can already see some slow but positive improvement in my situation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1

10. I had post natal depression I scored highly on the questionnaire with the health visitor and the hospital were referring me to the doctor for help because I couldn’t leave
    I had an awful time with the birth and after
    I’m still waiting for that referral 20 years down the line

My psychologist apologised for the lack of help and told me how I felt wasnt my fault
    The relief I felt after carrying my guilt at being a poor mother for 20 years was a weight lifted off my shoulders but..... I still have to work at keeping those thoughts

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. So true Ducbird.Just a bit of help at the right time would stop so many of us beating ourselves up over the years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. So true Ducbird.Just a bit of help at the right time would stop so many of us beating ourselves up over the years.

13. Glad you made through Bootsam. Those prison guards were obviously good blokes.

How the fork did any judge expected you to get on with your life whilst setting costs & fining you 9 months gross income? Its no better now since legal aid is all but ended. For example this means that employees are fired, not paid wages and who can only seek redress by paying £300 for a hearing. People on minimum wage have no access to justice with that system.

#13 Jez900ie, Jul 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. Magistrates are so far removed from the realities of life for some people. On the whole, theyre middle class and have had stable, comfortable and normal upbringing. Which is fine. But 'normal' for a lot of families isnt stable. Its full of ups and down, twists and turns, disasters and bad luck. They do not have any understanding of the difficulties some people have. That poor lad for instance, where was his support? Yet, a scumbag can mug an old lady and get a fucking community service or suspended sentence. It makes no fucking sense.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. It’s still full of stigma. No way I’d admit too, or ask for help. Not officially. It can restrict you life cover, restrict your job opportunities, and restrict other opportunities to travel. And do friends want to hear it? What if you don’t have friends, just lots of acquaintances? You are stuck. Like being knee deep in Morcombe sands with the tide coming in. The water gets closer, the mud grip gets strionger, you sink further.

Until that is fixed (stigma and judgement), it will continue.

It’s made worse since the internet. Forums, and this is a good example sometimes, ‘banter’ can push people over the edge. Knobheads who follow others around, all the time, constantly sniping regardless of subject. If you are feeling low, or bad about yourself, it just heaps more and more on.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. What worries me is through this "safe space" insistence and the dumbing down of a nation through smart phones, we seem to have removed the young uns ability to cope with diversity and difficulty. Be honest, had the poor soul simply typed into their smart phone, "advice with debt" they would have seen an abundance of help available and in the simplest of terms.

This poor soul would have had many issues long before a debt arrived and it's sad so many of our youth seem to be struggling with this

• Agree Agree x 1

17. Noobs all the advice can be right there in front of you but these issues need someone to help you with the right experience to cope. Those coping skills mean sod all on paper it’s guidance that’s needed and then with that you have to help yourself too by practising them every day

I’m sooo thankful for mine because I couldn’t have done it on my own

18. It should never have gotten to £1,000 in the first place. The magistrates placed that burden on him. When you are young and niaive, you dont comprehend whats what. Not everyone when reaching 18 is suddenly mature and grounded. A simple telling off would probably have served that guy. Instead, the magistrate kept piling more and more debt onto him. Its a disgrace.

In a sense I was lucky as I have a very strong mental health. My downs are merely a grump. Im very flat line but we all have friends for whom the world ends when life throws them a googly. I just shrug a meh.

My wife suffered depression when her father died. Its a very dark place and difficult for flat liners like me to understand, but I can see how emotionally desperate mental health can be for some. I sympathise with you all, even if Ive never experienced it.

An acquantance I knew as a student tried to commit suicide by throwing himself under a train. He survived, albeit minus his legs and an arm. needless to say he completed his task at a later date. I mean, what terrors must someone be under to do that? Why are we not helping these people? What have we become, to ignore the plight of these people?

19. I get that I do, what I'm saying is, I think most would agree, compared to my youth, there are zillions and zillions of support services now, more than there has ever been and more awareness that they exist and it's just a shame given those massive resources, it's a shame some of the young can't find a way to use them :confused:

I get your point on debt boots, last week I had a debt recovery letter from Marstons. It was to my address but not for me. I open these things in case someone is doing identity fraud against my address and it was explained to me as this

The debt was a £2.50 Dartford tunnel charge not paid. After trying to find the lady (who doesn't live here and is unknown to me, for a car I have never seen), each attempt to find her by the debt recovery part of the tunnel group adds a charge. When it gets to £113, the tunnel group then sells the debt to a debt recovery agency. By the time that debt, not mine, had hit my doorstep, it was at £195. £2.50 to £195 is a fair old shunt by any means

#19 noobie, Jul 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Three issues here. One is the state of mental health support. Two is categorisation of everything nowadays that overloads the support (people can be unhappy without having depression or ‘mental illnes’). And three the continual bombardment of stealth taxes on all U.K. citizens

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information