1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Space Between Front Fork & Wheel

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Hmmm:thinkingface:, so, as my 748 undergoes a major nut & bolt restoration, I thought I'd taken photos of everything before I disassembled it but... it appears not:(.

This afternoon I came to reassemble the front end and I have no idea whether or not there should be this gap between the front fork RHS (as you sit on it) and the wheel. On the LHS the space is taken up with the speedometer drive but on the right....... It just doesn't look right.

I've checked the parts diagram and there's nothing missing as far as I can see, but just so I can put my mind at rest, is this correct? TIA

ps. The rust on the inside face of the disks is now gone and the bolts holding the disks on are replaced with S/steel ones. This pic was taken earlier.

IMG_1294.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. The spindle has a larger diameter section on the right hand side. This passes through the fork leg and goes up to the wheel bearing which has (from memory) a slim spacer that sits in the bearing seal.
    There is no other spacer on the spindle on the right side.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks, that’s exactly how it is, must be right then, just looked weird.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thats about the same as mine!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. give it a few bounces with everything loose except the top yoke nuts and it will find its correct place :upyeah:

Del Bollocks (as Matt at the Workshop calls him) actually has a decent video on this if you're not sure - all looks goods though

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. if the disc is running through the center of the caliper its got to be right

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information